Unprotected with protected in a vault

jyork89

Hello All,

Attached is a hand general drawing of the project I am working and have a question about protected with unprotected conductors. Highlighted in the drawing is a basic vault I am putting in to intercept conductors from a meter pedestal that doesn’t have overcurrent protection. I am planning to cut the conduit and Polaris lug the existing service conductors from the pedestal and reroute to a long tall sally for an emergency disconnect. I will have two conduits for the long tall separating the unprotected conductors and protected conductors but the vault will have both unprotected conductors and protected conductors in it. Do I need a divider in an under ground vault (think splinkler valve enclosure) to separate unprotected conductors and protected conductors? Additionally the long tall doesn’t have a divider either. Thoughts?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Protected with unprotected.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 13

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Hello All,

Attached is a hand general drawing of the project I am working and have a question about protected with unprotected conductors. Highlighted in the drawing is a basic vault I am putting in to intercept conductors from a meter pedestal that doesn’t have overcurrent protection. I am planning to cut the conduit and Polaris lug the existing service conductors from the pedestal and reroute to a long tall sally for an emergency disconnect. I will have two conduits for the long tall separating the unprotected conductors and protected conductors but the vault will have both unprotected conductors and protected conductors in it. Do I need a divider in an under ground vault (think splinkler valve enclosure) to separate unprotected conductors and protected conductors? Additionally the long tall doesn’t have a divider either. Thoughts?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
The only section I can find is 230.7, Other conductors in Raceway or Cable. I can't find anything to prohibit the service and feeder conductors in your vault.
Also note 230.46 for splicing service conductors.
FYI, my answer is based on the 2020 code as I don't have the 2023 edition. 😳

Ron

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Locally it would likely be unacceptable by POCO... Suggest you check with yours

jyork89

The only section I can find is 230.7, Other conductors in Raceway or Cable. I can't find anything to prohibit the service and feeder conductors in your vault.
Also note 230.46 for splicing service conductors.
FYI, my answer is based on the 2020 code as I don't have the 2023 edition. 😳

Ron
Thank you for the response.
I saw that for 230.7 as well and I agree doesn’t apply here.

Are you referring to this code where 230.46 redirects to

300.5(E) Splices and Taps.
Direct-buried conductors or cables shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made in accordance with 110.14(B).

Are you thinking of underground splice kits and do away with he vault?

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
Thank you for the response.
I saw that for 230.7 as well and I agree doesn’t apply here.

Are you referring to this code where 230.46 redirects to

300.5(E) Splices and Taps.
Direct-buried conductors or cables shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made in accordance with 110.14(B).

Are you thinking of underground splice kits and do away with he vault?
230.46 Pressure connectors and devices for splicing installed on service conductors shall be marked "suitable for use on the line side of the service equipment"

Ron