unsafe cap at extension cord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Employees will often bring to work extension cords, and electric heaters from home, I have gone on building inspections with the fire department and we end up with a box full of cords and heaters
"Quick! Hide your heaters!"

You only find them if they don't know you're inspecting!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have gone on building inspections with the fire department and we end up with a box full of cords and heaters

Then what do you do with them?

Rightfully they are not yours nor the Fire Department's for the taking.

I would think an inspection would consist of pointing out the problem areas and allowing a certain amount of time for those areas to be corrected.

If not corrected then more stringent actions may be needed to apply, but, none of which I would think would allow you handle another persons stuff.

JAP>

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
While the NEC is for premise wiring, there are many sections that deal with equipment that plugs in, such as decorative holiday lighting, portable luminaires and Article 400 con Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables.
Flexible cords and cables are commonly misused for fixed wiring of a structure, see 400.12
400.13 covers splices in flexible cords and repair of hard service and junior service cord

But for the original question, you can replace the cord cap or preferably get a new cord set.
Employees will often bring to work extension cords, and electric heaters from home, I have gone on building inspections with the fire department and we end up with a box full of cords and heaters
Thanks. I too was going to mention those NEC 400 sections about flex cords in response to Hal's comment which you replied to.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here’s my point in post 2

1910.334(a)(2)(ii)
If there is a defect or evidence of damage that might expose an employee to injury, the defective or damaged item shall be removed from service, and no employee may use it until repairs and tests necessary to render the equipment safe have been made.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Flexible cords and cables are commonly misused for fixed wiring of a structure, see 400.12
400.13 covers splices in flexible cords and repair of hard service and junior service cord

Not in my NEC. Those would be 400.8 and 400.9. I don't think either relates to portable plug and receptacle connected extension cords, although 400.9, Splices certainly could be taken as good advice.

Hv&Lv said:
Here’s my point in post 2

1910.334(a)(2)(ii)

If there is a defect or evidence of damage that might expose an employee to injury, the defective or damaged item shall be removed from service, and no employee may use it until repairs and tests necessary to render the equipment safe have been made.

I agree this is the relevant requirement.

-Hal

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
While the NEC is for premise wiring, there are many sections that deal with equipment that plugs in, such as decorative holiday lighting, portable luminaires and Article 400 con Flexible Cords and Flexible Cables.

But for the original question, you can replace the cord cap or preferably get a new cord set.
so the inspector doesn't just "red-tag" the code violations and may actually collect what found wrong? and would they use another color, like black, if the problem item is red color itself?

Jamesiah

Occupation
Student
Now you're not being serious, are you.

-Hal

I am.

That was based on my consultant engineering experience and what I had observed L&I (Labor & Industries) inspectors do. my understanding was that they would just "red-tag" what they find non-code-compliant and would leave it to the "owner" and/or their consultant/contractors who have procured the project to fix them for the next round of inspection check, or at least that was how it went in a few Core&Shell and Tenant-Improvement construction projects I was involved with their building permit provision process.

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You may get a red tag from a fire authority or OSHA on a site visit but your not going to get one from an electrical inspector unless the extension cord is part of the premises wiring upon final inspection of the electrical installation.

The cord in your picture is not a code violation because the NEC doesn't cover it.

It's not being used as part of the premises wiring.

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.