UNUSED OPENINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark m.

HEY, GUY'S IAM NEW MEMBER HERE. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIELD FOR 17 YEARS & I'VE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 11 YEARS SO, I HOPE I CAN HELP WITH SOME QUESTIONS & I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME WITH SOME QUESTIONS.
I RECENTLY DID A JOB THAT REQUIRED ADDING A BX WIRE TO A SIDEMOUNT 1900 BOX(WITH BX CLAMPS) IN AN EXISTING FINISHED WALL.THERE WERE (2)EXISTING BX WIRES COMING OUT OF THE BOTTOM, (1) BX WAS BEING ELIMINATED. THAT LEFT A SPARE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX.(1 WIRE WAS STILL UNDER THE BX CLAMP). THE INSPECTOR FAILED THE JOB FOR "UNUSED OPENING". NOW I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY UNREASONABLE AM I CRAZY?
I KNOW THEY DON'T MAKE A KNOCKOUT THAT SMALL.WHAT DO I DO WITHOUT TAKING OUT THE BOX?
NOT TO MENTION THE FACT IT'S IN A HOTEL & THERE'S A BUNCH OF THEM DONE ALREADY.
MARK M.

scotty

Re: UNUSED OPENINGS

Mark, your right this stinks, but according to nec 370-18 we have to close all unused openings. I to failed a job inspection for this and the inspector may a remark about soldering back the old k.o's. That didn't sound right to me and besides I only had two boxes so I changed them, but here's one for everyone to pick on how about firecaulk?? A fellow electrican gave me the idea, but I never ran it by the AHJ??

landelectric

Two flat washers(one inside & one outside) about 3/4" O.D. with a 8-32 screw and nut should be acceptable. (use a very small butterfly if you don't have access to both sides)

You said "wires" were coming out of the box, I assume you meant CABLES ?

[ February 24, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: landelectric ]

mark m.

HEY LANDELECTRIC YEAH THAT IS WHAT I THINK IAM GOING TO DO. (YES, I MEANT BX CABLES.)THE ONLY THING IS THAT IT'S NOT UL APPROVED.

mark m.

DELL, DO YOU MEAN JUST LEAVE 6" OF BX GOING KNOWHERE. (STUB)? WE LEFT A COUPLE DISCONNECTED IN THE BOX , WIRENUTTED & HE APPROVED THEM GO FIGURE.

Originally posted by mark m.:
DELL, DO YOU MEAN JUST LEAVE 6" OF BX GOING KNOWHERE. (STUB)? WE LEFT A COUPLE DISCONNECTED IN THE BOX , WIRENUTTED & HE APPROVED THEM GO FIGURE.
Yea, that's exactly what I meant, but it was tongue-in-cheek. I didn't expect it would be approved, although now that you mention it, I wonder what it would be in violation of? Anyone?

BTW, welcome aboard! (And all caps is genrerally considered to be shouting; figured I'd warn you before somebody shouts back) :)

[ February 24, 2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: dellphinus ]

landelectric

about the UL listing.

I don't think you would see a UL on a box of bonified KO seals anyway, so fender washers should be good.

It's reasonable and it's safe, if your inspector has half (1/2) a brain, he should accept it.

The nutted off cables to nowhere are a bummer dude !

mark m.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I HAVE NO INTENTIONS ON LEAVING CAPPED WIRES IN THE WALL MY POINT WAS THAT THE SMALL HOLE WAS A BIG ISSUE.
THANKS MARK M.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

Originally posted by mark m.:
HEY, GUY'S IAM NEW MEMBER HERE. I HAVE BEEN IN THE FIELD FOR 17 YEARS & I'VE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR 11 YEARS SO, I HOPE I CAN HELP WITH SOME QUESTIONS & I HOPE YOU CAN HELP ME WITH SOME QUESTIONS.
I RECENTLY DID A JOB THAT REQUIRED ADDING A BX WIRE TO A SIDEMOUNT 1900 BOX(WITH BX CLAMPS) IN AN EXISTING FINISHED WALL.THERE WERE (2)EXISTING BX WIRES COMING OUT OF THE BOTTOM, (1) BX WAS BEING ELIMINATED. THAT LEFT A SPARE HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX.(1 WIRE WAS STILL UNDER THE BX CLAMP). THE INSPECTOR FAILED THE JOB FOR "UNUSED OPENING". NOW I THOUGHT THAT WAS PRETTY UNREASONABLE AM I CRAZY?
I KNOW THEY DON'T MAKE A KNOCKOUT THAT SMALL.WHAT DO I DO WITHOUT TAKING OUT THE BOX?
NOT TO MENTION THE FACT IT'S IN A HOTEL & THERE'S A BUNCH OF THEM DONE ALREADY.
MARK M.
My solution was to take aviation snips to internal romex clamps and cut away the part that would cover the opening still in use. I remove the screw holding the AC/MC clamp in place, slide the modified clamp behind it, and reinstall the screw. I won't claim that I can quote chapter and verse to justify that but it works from the inside of an existing box and provides effective closure of the unused KO.
--
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.