Unusual Phenomenon

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had done some work recently at a residence and installed some recessed LED hi-hats (1" Low profile type) in a suspended ceiling in a basement controlled by an LED dimmer. The HO called me and said that the septic alarm panel had a neon light that was on steady while the lights were on but when he shut the lights off it started to flicker. He claims that he looked up this situation on-line and a site claimed that there may be an interaction between the septic alarm unit and the dimmer. I thought it might be because the circuits were on the same phase, I swapped phases and had the same issue. Anyone else run into this situation ?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The HO called me and said that the septic alarm panel had a neon light that was on steady while the lights were on but when he shut the lights off it started to flicker.

Those little neon bulbs used for indicators and night lights have a finite life span. When they start to give up they will flicker and eventually go out. Funny thing is that, when that happens, if you illuminate them they will light or stop flickering. So apparently what is happening here is that the lights are providing illumination making them fire and in the dark they go back to flickering.

This is a good thing to remember when dealing with illuminated switches and night light switches and the customer complains that they are flickering at night.

-Hal

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It's more tgan likely RFI.
I haven't had that exact scenario, but I've seen it between LEDs and other electronic stuff.

There's a priority that's regulated by the FCC

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I bet it is the fixtures then... What brand led are you using? Is there a bulb or a trim with the tape lights built in?

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Those NE2s and NE51s will age to the point of needing to be in a high light environment to light, just like Hal says. I've had one in those lighten end extension cords do that.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used a neon bulb and a pair of 100k ohm resistors to make a remote indicator for a light in a detached garage years ago.

Connect the resistors in series, each end to one traveler, and the bulb from the center point to neutral.

With the light off, the center point is at 60v, not enough to fire the bulb (90v typ.)

Status
Not open for further replies.