Up to date panel schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbhwt

Electrical Systems Inspector
Occupation
On numerous occasions I've come across panel schedules that were not up to date. Just recently at the 3 guys auto parts store I was called out for a problem with there server dropping out before quitting time (some panels are on energy management which are called "timed" and others are "24hr"). The store has gone thru remodels I'm sure, a dedicated circuit was added for the server at some time and put on the 24hr panel. Someone had also put a "timed" circuit (double duplex) next to the dedicated 24hr (double duplex).
The person who did the work did not update the panel schedule, after some time I was able to identify the circuit and verfiy that it was not on the "timed" panel. Had the panel been marked properly it would saved me alot of time. Oh, the server wasn't the problem, the "POS" (point of sale) computer was droping out because a mouse was nibbling on the data cable. And then there was the time I was called to a local hotel that was recently purchased buy some people that don't speak very good english. There was some interior lights that were not working, the panel schedules were in such bad shape I could not tell what circuit controlled what. The panels in the pool equipment room were so corroded it was scary. I think there should be a law that all panel schedules are updated at least once a year by a qualified electrical contractor.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
never heard of such a rule.

a panel schedule only needs changing when one or more circuits is changed.

presumably such changes are made by qualifed persons who know enough to update the schedule.

muskiedog

Here is your law.

Here is your law.

OSHA 1910.303F

Identification of disconnecting means and circuits. Each disconnecting means required by this subpart for motors and appliances shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose, unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. Each service, feeder, and branch circuit, at its disconnecting means or overcurrent device, shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose, unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. These markings shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

dlhoule

muskiedog said:
OSHA 1910.303F

Identification of disconnecting means and circuits. Each disconnecting means required by this subpart for motors and appliances shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose, unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. Each service, feeder, and branch circuit, at its disconnecting means or overcurrent device, shall be legibly marked to indicate its purpose, unless located and arranged so the purpose is evident. These markings shall be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.

Maybe I'm missing something; where does it say anything about annually?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Personally I don't real trust panel schedules. You never really know if they're accurate. If you work a lot in commercial spaces the last thing that you want to do is flip off the wrong breaker. We always use a circuit tracer to identify the circuit before turning off. One time I had a guy who in a darkened electric closet flipped off what he thought was the correct circuit, when a big shot attorney came running out of his office yelling that his computer crashed and he just lost his court briefing. Didn't go over too well. Blame that one on poor eyesight and poor lighting.

muskiedog

Not Annually

Not Annually

Just a suggestion.

If the work is done be non-qualified you will never get it done right..

I have been going through a old state hosipital complex with 12 buildings built around 1900. Its been a real treat to figure everything out.

fbhwt

Occupation
Not having a up to date panel schedule is just as bad as not having one at all I would guess, all I'm saying is that when the fire marshal checks the emergency exits and egress lighting that someone should check the panel schedule to make sure that it's there and up to date.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
One suggestion that has worked well:
Find a vinyl sheet protector about 5" x 5". I use the ones that Sq D provides with their panelboards, or you can order a box from an office supply store. Stick the clear sheet protector on the door (the Sq D comes with adhesive tape, you can order from Sq D)
Now make a panel schedule form in Excel, then reuse it for each panel directory after changing the name. Print two copies, when you make a change, mark up both, leave one, take the other to your shop and update. Drop off two new copies next time you are at that job.
I often will put the type of panel and breakers on the directory, and put GFCI protected in BLUE .

fbhwt said:
I think there should be a law that all panel schedules are updated at least once a year by a qualified electrical contractor.

I like the way you think!
Now theres a legislation I'd back!
Every year I can visit my customer(s) for an hour to update or verify the panel schedule is accurate. Then when leaving I can schedule their next appointment one year out!
2000 customers scheduled for 1 hour, booked 1 year from now.
What a gig! I can hire a guy, put him in a Toyota Prius & keep him billing out every day and he's never get dirty!
Charge $100 for the service pay my guy $30K & net $170K less car & benefits.

Just show them 408.4
Writing lights, plugs, & applainces wont work any more

realolman

Are you suggesting that people would promote and support safety legislation simply to profit from it?

I'm shocked and appalled.

dlhoule

I once received an updated panel directory from a Certified EE. After I followed directory to turn off breaker listed for a certain piece of equipment and shut down several other pieces of equipment; there was a lot of not so pleasant discussion as to who was to blame for all the down time and scrap parts.

I can't seem to trust anyone except myself and I'm not too sure about him.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.