Update to my previous Would you wire post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

The 3100 sqft house that was wired for $4700 with the electrician (in business for 29 years no less) providing the #12 wire is now wired. The inspection, I assume will be tommorow.

And while I know this will be a shock to most of you, the guy said "I lost money on this one." He also forgot to check the heat pump specs. Those heat stripes require some bigger wire ya know.

Imagine that.

c2500

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
bless his heart. i just hate to hear that things didn't work out at that price. i can't believe he purchased all the material at that price.

480sparky

"Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission."--- Eleanor Roosevelt, Ann Landers.

I guess this guy gave them permission.

LawnGuyLandSparky

brantmacga said:
bless his heart. i just hate to hear that things didn't work out at that price. i can't believe he purchased all the material at that price.

I can't believe he did the service for that price.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
I can't believe he did the service for that price.

i would like you to explain that if you don't mind:

several times i've seen people post on here about charging $10-$20 per amp to build a service. i would like to know what brings the price of building a service, based on your comment, to $5k?

when you say "service", and i'm asking in relation to new construction only, are you calling the service not only the meter and disco's but the panel and all of the necessary circuit breakers?

when i do a quote, the circuit breakers are figured in the price of the circuits i'm installing, and the panel installation and labor is on another line. my service quote is just me installing the meter/disco and ground rod. its exponentially lower than what i see you guys charge. sorry to hijack the thread, i'm just curious.

emahler

brantmacga said:
i would like you to explain that if you don't mind:

several times i've seen people post on here about charging $10-$20 per amp to build a service. i would like to know what brings the price of building a service, based on your comment, to $5k?

when you say "service", and i'm asking in relation to new construction only, are you calling the service not only the meter and disco's but the panel and all of the necessary circuit breakers?

when i do a quote, the circuit breakers are figured in the price of the circuits i'm installing, and the panel installation and labor is on another line. my service quote is just me installing the meter/disco and ground rod. its exponentially lower than what i see you guys charge. sorry to hijack the thread, i'm just curious.

brant,

most prices talked about here are for service upgrades...not new installations...and lawnguy shouldn't be suprised (unless he's being facetious), he believes a service change is a 4 hr job max...a new install should be half of that, since you don't have to remove or disconnect anything...

but yes, new construction is a different ballgame than service replacement/upgrades...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
emahler said:
brant,

most prices talked about here are for service upgrades...not new installations...and lawnguy shouldn't be suprised (unless he's being facetious), he believes a service change is a 4 hr job max...a new install should be half of that, since you don't have to remove or disconnect anything...

but yes, new construction is a different ballgame than service replacement/upgrades...

oh okay. thanks for clearing that up. whenever i saw guys talking about $10-$20 per amp i thought they were talking about a new service, and charging by the amp was questionable as well.

growler

480sparky said:
"Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission."--- Eleanor Roosevelt, Ann Landers.

I don't think anyone ever wanted to "take advantage" of Eleanor Roosevelt, not even Mr. Roosevelt (FDR). :grin: :grin:

Sorry but it had to be said.

aline

brantmacga said:
oh okay. thanks for clearing that up. whenever i saw guys talking about $10-$20 per amp i thought they were talking about a new service, and charging by the amp was questionable as well.
I add up the total amperage of all the breakers in the panels and multiply this by $10-$20 (depending on how desperate I am) to come up with my price.

Status
Not open for further replies.