Upgrading receptacle layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grouch1980

I'm working on renovating an existing duplex apartment... it's in a 2 family townhouse. The architect is only adding 2 new receptacles. And we're also adding a new central AC system (split system). However, there's areas in the apartment where the receptacles are spaced more than 12 feet apart. Does the addition of 2 new receptacles trigger upgrading the receptacle requirements in the rest of the apartment? Is there a threshold that triggers upgrading the receptacle layout in the whole apartment? If so, is there a code section that mentions this? I was told if you upgrade 50% of the wiring (or receptacles?), that's the trigger to upgrade the entire space.

Thanks everyone!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Need to ask ghe AHJ for the minimum requirement
Or You can be proactive and update the electrical.

Edward

Grouch1980

Thanks guys. it looks like its 50% here as well, I checked with another colleague in my area (NYC). Now, just to add another piece to the puzzle. The electrical panel for the apartment is being relocated. So all the circuits will have to be reconnected to the new panel location. In your areas, would THIS trigger upgrading all the receptacles in an apartment?

Grouch1980

So if I relocate the panel, does that mean i have to now provide AFCI breakers? The panel has regular breakers only, this is an old building. But would putting in AFCI breakers trigger upgrading the receptacle layout in the rest of the building? What is in like in your areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.