Upgrading Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

I have a customer who has four service drops coming in from the same pole. two go to a meter/disconnect outside the building at 100A each. The other go into an electrical room that has a 400A fused disconnect and a 600A fused disconnect. The 600A disconnect goes to 23 apartment meters and then out to the units. The 400A disconnect goes goes out to 7 commercial meter/disconnects.

The customer now wants one underground service lateral that goes into the building and through a single outside disconnect switch (around 1200A). Then feed out to the two 400/600A disconnects and then add an additional 400A disconnect that would feed the two outside loads on the old meter.

The room is locked where these disconnects are located. I am wondering if I really need to put an outside disconnect on the wall. I am thinking it would save money to just install a trough and tap off to the three fused disconnects. If I do put a disconnect outside, should I fuse it? If so do I need to fuse the inside disconnects? I have a limited budget and there are a bunch of code issues on the inside of the building that I would rather spend their money on if possible.

mdshunk

If you do hang an outside disconnect, I'd be concerned whether the indoor disconnects have an insulated solid neutral assembly or whether you can get one for those disconnects.

Bjenks

mdshunk said:
If you do hang an outside disconnect, I'd be concerned whether the indoor disconnects have an insulated solid neutral assembly or whether you can get one for those disconnects.

Excellent Point, seeing that the two existing disconnects are around 40 years old and being fed by a open delta I bet not. I will have to look at that more closely on my next visit. I am thinking I would also have to remove the existing ground rod connections as I would be installing a new one outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.