Upgrading to LED - how do I recycle old fluorescent lamps and ballasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

As I have been gradually upgrading existing fixtures to 4-foot LED tubes (also bypassing the ballast) I've decided I need to learn more about recycling options for old lamps and ballasts.

I'm tired of just tossing them into the dumpster (no recycling requirements where I live), as well as feeing guilty about it, even though I feel good about promoting and installing LED's!

What recycling options do I have for lamps and ballasts? How do I start down that road? Ideally I would pass on any costs with my customers (or maybe share the costs?).

Thanks, Sky

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I just take my ballasts to the local metal scrap yard. They just put them in shred class of stuff at one time they were giving a dollar/10 lbs of ballasts. If I remember right, the big slimline and Ho ballasts weighed that each.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
As I have been gradually upgrading existing fixtures to 4-foot LED tubes (also bypassing the ballast) I've decided I need to learn more about recycling options for old lamps and ballasts.

I'm tired of just tossing them into the dumpster (no recycling requirements where I live), as well as feeing guilty about it, even though I feel good about promoting and installing LED's!

What recycling options do I have for lamps and ballasts? How do I start down that road? Ideally I would pass on any costs with my customers (or maybe share the costs?).

Thanks, Sky
Never share the costs, they are his, plus markup if need be.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
When I exchanged around 700 T8 tubes at this plant, I put those that weren't too dark on the ends in the boxes the new tubes came in, around 15 per box, and we gave them to anyone that wanted them, as-is, no warranty. Got rid about half that way, the rest went into a couple of those pre-paid recycle boxes

Led 4 foot tubes are GROSS! They are bad, as in near uv wavelengths cause fluorescing of your lens. Also, not to mention driver failures in the craptastic ones, leading to anything from dimming out to flashing. Sure, fluorescent does that too occasionally (less often on good ol magnetic ballasts) but it's shameful for that to happen with the lighting that's supposed to outlast fluorescents.

Status
Not open for further replies.