UPS output/input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

I need to know if I'm sizing the output and input correctly of a UPS.

I have a 750KVA UPS at 480V to be installed. I would like to size the input and output feeder properly.

I used 750/.831= 905.52A, then I multiplied that by 1.25 then by 1.20 for battery efficency.

Ok it comes to this 905.52A x 1.25 x 1.20 = 1298A so I say 1200A (without battery efficency) output to the Distrib. panel and input feeder of 1600A for main and by pass.

Please tell me if I'm in error...Please?? ;)

rcwilson

When power returns, the UPS input has to recharge the battery and still supply the full 750 KVA load. The 1600 A may be enough to do that but it is best to check the UPS manufacturer's recommended circuit sizing. The answer depends on the battery recharge rate and battery size.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Yes, the manufacturer usually lists recommended wire sizes in either the owners manual, or the installation manual. You can often download this manual online.

I would suggest checking that. I never seem to have any luck figuring out how they calculate the wire sizes.

Steve

markstg

Prior to finalizing the design you need to obtain the manufacturer's certified drawings for the UPS. That's a monster. I got bit once on a 480V In 480/277v out UPS, and the manufacturer needed a 4 wire input to the UPS as they used 277V for internal voltage reference or some such thing. I had only brought 3W + ground.

sbspower

A good rule of thumb for a 750kW would be 1600A on the main input (1200A on the bypass input if it is a dual input UPS) and 1200A on the output. If you detail what UPS you are using, i can confirm the manufacturer recommendations.

Lady Engineer

Thank you....that's what we put on the last one line diagram. It's been a while since I did one, and those size always confuse me.

I now have the manufacturer's recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.