URD comes with lugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever seen this? 800 foot spool of 250 URD (triplexed 250/250/ 3/0 USE-2) had these lugs crimped on. Only thing I can think of is they put them on to hi pot test at the factory? Or was someone just trying out their new crimper? Doesn't look like a very high quality lug or crimp. Maybe they aren't lugs at all and were put on for the plexing operation? That's all I got....

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_110041422.jpg
    IMG_20200702_110041422.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Anyone ever seen this? 800 foot spool of 250 URD (triplexed 250/250/ 3/0 USE-2) had these lugs crimped on. Only thing I can think of is they put them on to hi pot test at the factory? Or was someone just trying out their new crimper? Doesn't look like a very high quality lug or crimp. Maybe they aren't lugs at all and were put on for the plexing operation? That's all I got....
Kinda did it backwards didn’t they..
you have to unspool it all and start at the end to use the lugs...😅

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yeah and even if they were on the outside end, and it was a direct bury gig, I still can't imagine wanted the lugs on there 🤔
I wouldn’t trust them either. The cable is tested on the roll before it leaves the factory.
The plant we visited some time back used lugs also, but they were cut off and discarded, and the ends were stapled down tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.