urgent help needed in selection of generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipin

Hi friends
i have some difficult comments for my selection of generator for one of my client..
i ll give the details here
i have a main panel at 462kw to be fed with a generator
connected load = 462kw
diversified load = 371kw (made from detailed calculation of all the feeders)
spare required= 20 % of connected load =92.4kw
total anticipated load on genset = diversified load + spare =371+92.4= 463.4kw
here all the equipments are kitchen equipments and there is no heavy motors involved in the project.....we can take almost 85 to 90% pf.

i ve selected a 725kva prime generator, but my main contractor says it is insufficient as the genset can be selected based on 70% of its capacity due to ios regulations. can some body help me to justify this, coz we ve already purchased the 725kva x 2 nos for duty standby operation..... the standby rating of the same genset is 800kva .

bob

genset can be selected based on 70% of its capacity due to ios regulations
What is the ios regulation requiring 70%? I would think that the mfg could back you up on this question.

jwjrw

I always let the generator dealer size the genset. I supply them with the info and let them tell me what I need.

Have you attempted to get the Peak Kilowatt Demand from the utility company service planner or from the monthly utility bills as some utility companies show this value? I would look at the past 24 months. The KWD will give you a truer figure to base your genset sizing and the amount of spare capacity your generator has.

Good luck

BJ Conner

Ios??

Ios??

Hi friends
i have some difficult comments for my selection of generator for one of my client..
i ll give the details here
i have a main panel at 462kw to be fed with a generator
connected load = 462kw
diversified load = 371kw (made from detailed calculation of all the feeders)
spare required= 20 % of connected load =92.4kw
total anticipated load on genset = diversified load + spare =371+92.4= 463.4kw
here all the equipments are kitchen equipments and there is no heavy motors involved in the project.....we can take almost 85 to 90% pf.

i ve selected a 725kva prime generator, but my main contractor says it is insufficient as the genset can be selected based on 70% of its capacity due to ios regulations. can some body help me to justify this, coz we ve already purchased the 725kva x 2 nos for duty standby operation..... the standby rating of the same genset is 800kva .
Do you have a job specification?
Teh only IOS I know is a goverment reg BuREC I think.
I would say your generator is big enough. Is the generator for Emergency, standby and/or optional standby? I woudl ask the main contractor for chapter and verse of the IOS he's citing.

Ragin Cajun

Several comments.

Get with one of the Genset manufacturers and use their sizing program. Gererac has what I think is the best one.

You need to know the sequence of how loads will be turned on. If you plan on ":all at once", the genset size will be unnecessarily huge.

Is this a new building or one in service for a spell. Getting actual demand reading will really help, but you still need to know sequencing!

RC

Status
Not open for further replies.