Urgent- Need Advice on preparation of Electrical Power Engineer Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyadevi89

Hi folks,

I am an Electrical power engineer from India. I recently moved to US now living in WA. I have an interview scheduled for electrical design engineer at entry level requiring experience in design of Lighting, Power, Load calculation, Feeder branch circuit sizing, Electrical equipment selection, Arc flash studies, Load flow etc. As I am new to US i dont have idea about the interview process here.
What types of questions I can expect in the interview?
What technical details I must to know before attending the interview?
Can you please also list the technical references that explains the Low voltage power distribution system design in US?
It would be great if you guys suggest me a way to prepare interview.
Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your replies and Suggestions. Thanks again for your time :roll:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is no one way that employers interview people. Some have a very structured process where they ask you a lot of specific questions, others just talk with you.

Some try to ask you tough questions from a technical perspective. Some ask you tough questions that are not technical in nature.

as an entry level engineer it is doubtful they will expect a whole lot of you from a technical perspective. and no one is likely to expect you to know all that much about US electrical systems if you have never worked on them previously. In the US electrical installations are mostly required to be NEC compliant.

the best advice I can give you is to be as honest as possible. claiming experience or knowledge you do not have or trying to mislead the interviewer is a good way to lose any chance at all of getting a second look. keep in mind in many cases the people interviewing you have decades of experience at what they do and you have none. they will know if you are trying to lie to them, or are claiming to know more than you actually do.

most companies have their own internal standards that they work from so they won't expect you to know much about them. they will want to see if you are adaptable and can learn though. that is probably the most important thing for engineers. if you cannot learn, you are doomed.

you may have to get past the resume screeners before you get to anyone technically astute. they take a little more finesse because they know less than you do about the job.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.