US Army in IRAQ help question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph23

Hello,

I am currently working for the US Army in Iraq as a facilities manager and need to find the ampacity for a new generator to replace one that was blown-up. This generator is much smaller than the primary and I need to calculate the ampacity but don't have a NEC book. Could anyone provide me with NEC 310 and the associated charts? Or if you want you can help me just calculate the ampacity? But I would really like the chart in case this happens again.

Here are the specs:

LEROY-SOMER Alternateur
LSA 44.2VS45 J 6/4

Tension 400V, 3 phase, D conn
Continious 100 kVA, 80KW base, 144A @ 40C

Thanks for any and all help!

Right now I am just running essential systems with jumper cables until we can find some line so this might just be a moot point but I would like to know the right size to have everyone looking for.

ccjersey

Re: US Army in IRAQ help question

Calculate what?

The specs have 144A listed, that's your limit from the generator (144 amps on each line 3 phase)Try to balance loads across the 3 phases obviously.

Do you have some load information?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Joseph, I don't mean to be difficult, but who's doing the installation? A person qualified to be doing the work should know the answer to this question, and we try not to help people who shouldn't be doing the work.

Someone (maybe you) could get hurt.

hurk27

From table 310.16
For 75? terminations
1/0 for copper and 3/0 for aluminum
for 60? terminations
2/0 copper and 4/0 aluminum

You guys are doing a great job over there.
Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I guess the OP found a chink in the DIY armor.

Claim you're over there, and the rest is history... :p

Joseph, stay safe, and I second Wayne's sentiment.
icon14.gif

hurk27

Claim you're over there, and the rest is history...
First I would not think someone around here would be installing a 80kw generator running at 400 volts, Second I would think someone working for the Army doing "request for material" would only be doing whats within the scope of his job. And if it is doing electrical installation work it would be within the scope of his job thus not a DIY.

I may be wrong, but thats how I saw it?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I may be wrong, but thats how I saw it?
That's how I saw it at first too. I had an answer all ready to go (a wrong one, with the 3?, but I'm not going to mention that), and then deleted it when I saw some of the cues.

I think the electrical hazard to himself is more controllable than the other hazards he likely faces every day, so why should we give him trouble? :)

Just so long as he knows that if we get news he killed himself or someone else, hacking a generator together, we'll all be inconsolable, I guess we've done our best.

O

oliver100

Joseph

144 Amps, 1/0 cable (53 mm^2) or higher are OK.

Few notes:

1. I assume that you are going to use the existing cables and switchgears. Since the blown up generator was bigger, you have to re-adjust the Overload Protection. Otherwise the new generator will be blown up.

2. Since the generator is a delta connection, the 220 volts for the lighting would be a problem.

Keep up the good work. Be safe.

Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.