USB cable ziptied to power strip cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

fail

Is it OK to ziptie USB cables answer low voltage power to the 110 v o lt power strip cord?
7a17a637d55efea72e178034ac0acb27.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

JFletcher

Would tape have been a better option?

on data, velcro straps are the preferred method. This USB may have been (and appears to be) power rather than data, however every data/phone trained guy will not like zip ties-maybe TIA/EIA spec.

ty for the code ref; its one of the few chapter 4 rules that comes into play with v/d/v installs.

OP, it may be okay from a code standpoint, but certainly not what I'd consider best practices.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
zip ties and data cord shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Cable ties present no problem for truly permanent installations that won't be reconfigured for a long time / ever. Things like Ethernet patch panels should use Velcro, since they're liable to be reconfigured quite often.

Supposed problems with cable ties on data cables are a little overblown; cables like USB are fine (have you seen what people do to their phone's charging cables?!). Even CAT5 / 6 is fine so long as you don't cinch down the cable ties white-knuckle tight; lightly snug, but don't crush the cable.

SceneryDriver

fail

I thought we needed to keep the data and low voltage USB cables away from the 120 volt power strip cord. Look it is ziptied to the power cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
What is being questioned is likely not premises wiring, NEC doesn't apply IMO.

Is it a good idea, maybe maybe not. If there is no performance impact I have no issue with it. Behind/under many desks is a spaghetti pile of both power cords and communication cables and IMO is neither better or worse.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Those are not USB cables, they are being used as power supply cables from the plug-in wall wart to power some devices. Likely to charge cell phones. Since there is no data I wouldn't be concerned.

-Hal

Cmdr_Suds

Maybe you can cross reference it with the FDA.

Actually it would be the NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) that list products that come in contact food. I once saw dark grey PVC pipe (NSF listing) being mixed with light grey PVC (UL listed) on an electrical install. Wish I had a picture of that. Not sure if the electrical PVC pipe was being used on the other side. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.