Use of insulating bushing on cord connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMiller256

Having trouble getting a control panel ok'd for prodution because maintenance is using the NA-AMS standard that states conduits have to have bushings. WE installed several 1/2" and 3/4" cord connectors without bushings. Need to find in the NEC where is ok's not using bushings.

benaround

Re: Use of insulating bushing on cord connectors

TMiller,

Better yet ,have them show you where in the NEC that they found their info. While they do that,you look up manafacturer of the cord connectors that you used,to see if a bushing is required for use.

NEC states that the manf. instructions must be followed.

side note: I think your good as is,why would you need a bushing on a listed cord connector?? Also the reason for a bushing on conduit, the sharp edges of the conduit mightcut the insulation on the wire being pulled thru the pipe. With cord this can't happen??

[ August 25, 2005, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: benaround ]

jwelectric

Originally posted by TMiller256:
Having trouble getting a control panel ok'd for prodution because maintenance is using the NA-AMS standard that states conduits have to have bushings. WE installed several 1/2" and 3/4" cord connectors without bushings. Need to find in the NEC where is ok's not using bushings.
300.4 (F)
:)

redfish

300.4 (F)
(F) Insulated Fittings Where raceways containing ungrounded conductors 4 AWG or larger enter a cabinet, box enclosure, or raceway, the conductors shall be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place.
Is a cord connector considered a raceway?

jwelectric

Originally posted by redfish:
300.4 (F)
(F) Insulated Fittings Where raceways containing ungrounded conductors 4 AWG or larger enter a cabinet, box enclosure, or raceway, the conductors shall be protected by a substantial fitting providing a smoothly rounded insulating surface, unless the conductors are separated from the fitting or raceway by substantial insulating material that is securely fastened in place.
Is a cord connector considered a raceway?
The only place that I find where a bushing is required for other than open wiring or Knob and Tube is 300.4 (F) and 314.42 with the latter referring to ?Covers of outlet boxes and conduit bodies having holes through which flexible cord pendants may pass shall be provided with approved bushings or shall have smooth, well-rounded surfaces on which the cord may bear.?

I posted the only article that I thought would pertain to the original post. I am open to any suggestion that you might have.

Thinking that this post is referring to a insulated bushing I did a search for ?insulated bushing? and this is all that I found.
In the absence of finding anything concerning a flexible cord connecter then I would be inclined to think that one is not required.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.