Use of receptacles above a suspended ceiling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for support. I'm inspecting a new facility that required receptacles to be mounted at suspended ceiling height with the receptacle facing down to provide power for ceiling supported TV monitors. The customer desires to have the receptacles mounted above the ceiling and use the mounting column or tube of the monitor support for a raceway to feed the power cord to the above ceiling receptacle. The customer is supporting his position on the fact that the manufacturer of the ceiling mount advertises that the monitor mounting column or tube can be used to conceal electrical wiring. My contention is that the manufacturers intent was to feed electrical/signal down to the TV monitor and not up from the monitor. NEC 2002, 400.8(5) expressly forbids flexible cords and cables as identifed in table 400.4 from being located above suspended or dropped ceiling. I don't see a way or any intrepretation of any code article that would support the customers desire. Would appreciated any other supported conclusions.
Thanks,Le

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Use of receptacles above a suspended ceiling?

I'm not really sure that discussion came to any conclusions.

My understanding is that it's not allowed.

Steve

Re: Use of receptacles above a suspended ceiling?

After the several replies, a reread of the 2002 NEC Handbook and visiting several manufactures of ceiling mount TV monitors I have concluded that it is a violation of the NEC to feed the TV monitor power cord through the suspended ceiling to a receptacle mounted above the ceiling.
Thanks for the replies and view points. It was of assistance for making a call as AHJ.

Le

Status
Not open for further replies.