Use/ser

Status
Not open for further replies.

solaeros

WITH THE NEW LANGUAGE ON USE AND SER CABLES I HAVE A QUESTION?

I HAVE A NEW RESIDENCE TO WIRE WHICH HAS AN EXISTING PERMANENT 200 AMP METER/MAIN LOCATED ABOUT 20 FEET AWAY FROM THE HOUSE.
WITHOUT RUNNING CONDUIT AND COPPER THE WHOLE WAY TO THE INTERIOR PANEL. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FEED THIS PANEL INSIDE THE HOUSE. I DON'T WANT A J-BOX ON THE SIDE OF THE HOUSE IN ORDER TO SWITCH FROM USE TO SER.:confused:

mdshunk

Switch to Carflex at the hub of your LB at the wall and run it like you might SER. Pull conductors the whole way. Just a thought. I sure wouldn't pull SER in the underground pipe.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree pipe and wire the whole way or a junction box.

And please refrain from using all capital letters in your post. It makes it difficult to read and can be construed by some to mean that you're SHOUTING at us.:wink:

frankft2000

scwirenut said:
i would try 200amp mobile home feeder, then pipe into the panel from outside

I Maybe I missed something, but URD I thinks is USE, which can not be inside for more than 6 feet.

charlie

frankft2000 said:
I Maybe I missed something, but URD I thinks is USE, which can not be inside for more than 6 feet.
OOPS! USE cable must be terminated outside and is not permitted inside at all. :smile:
338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(B) Underground Service-Entrance Cable. Underground service-entrance cable (USE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) For interior wiring
(2) For aboveground installations except where USE cable emerges from the ground and is terminated in an enclosure at an outdoor location and the cable is protected in accordance with 300.5(D)

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I'm confused. I understand that a type USE cable is not permitted in a building, but what happens if the insulation has multiple ratings. If a cable is rated type USE, and is _also_ rated (and appropriately labeled) with some different type that is suitable for use inside a building, does 338.12 actually prohibit its use inside a building?

For example http://www.pdic.com/NR/rdonlyres/439B6A90-DBEB-4119-B398-E1ED34FBB6D6/0/pdic01069.pdf describes conductors which are rated RHH/RHW-2/USE-2. One can use RHH conductors in a raceway inside a building; so I think that using these RHH/RHW-2/USE-2 conductors in a raceway should also be kosher.

Does anyone manufacture a similarly dual rated cable assembly that would be suitable underground and also for interior wiring?

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.