use

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireryan

is it permitted to run a 3 wire use direct burial cable and then run a seperate ground in the trench to come up with a 4 wire? I looked in 338 and couldnt come up with anything

480sparky

Legal in my book.
leer.gif
As long as the ground wire is listed for DB.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can read the code section that applies to say that you can't use a separate EGC with the USE cable, or that you can.
300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).
All of the circuit conductors would be in the same trench, but would not be in the same cable. It is my opinion that the separate EGC is a violation of this code section.

Flex

You can read the code section that applies to say that you can't use a separate EGC with the USE cable, or that you can.

All of the circuit conductors would be in the same trench, but would not be in the same cable. It is my opinion that the separate EGC is a violation of this code section.

I'm inclined to agree with you. But is this code really black and white or does it seem kind of gray. First time through I figured it be ok.

480sparky

I think he is asking about buying a 3-wire USE assembly, and adding a single grounding conductor in the same trench with it......NOT a seperate trench.

If so, I do that all the time.

stew

run this type of install all the time. trench is not a raceway in my opinion. we use 4/0 use and a #4 use ground all the time for trailers and mfg homes. also have used 2/2/4 use w a separate ground for garages and outbuildings when we can't find 2/2/2/4.

Flex

run this type of install all the time. trench is not a raceway in my opinion. we use 4/0 use and a #4 use ground all the time for trailers and mfg homes. also have used 2/2/4 use w a separate ground for garages and outbuildings when we can't find 2/2/2/4.

So in your opinion its against code?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

It does include "trench" and "or" in the list. I say compliant.

iwire

Staff member
That is what I was trying to figure out. I guess in a trench you could? But I wouldnt think so.

No in my opinion you can't I was just trying to point out that the EGC will have to be part of the cable assembly and not just laid near it.

fireryan

I think he is asking about buying a 3-wire USE assembly, and adding a single grounding conductor in the same trench with it......NOT a seperate trench.

If so, I do that all the time.

thats exactly what im talking about. It seems to me that this could go either way

Status
Not open for further replies.