Used Breakers Molded Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKElectrician

I recently inherited some used and new in box molded case circuit breakers (GE, Square D, Siemens,) 20-500A 480V 2 and 3 pole. I also got a bunch of Push Matic Breakers of varying amps single and 2 pole as well. Some are new in box but most are used and have some slight corrosion but can be cleaned up easy (lugs). I know these are hard to come by breakers, so not sure how to price them. I know companies refurbish them. Does anyone know approx. how much it is to refurbish, or what they are worth, ball park of course. Looked on eBay and the prices are all over the board called some guys who deal with these breakers but dont want to go in there with eBay prices and those be to high to low. All have ohmed out the same per breaker, have not megged them phase to phase yet though
Some of the Breakers include (part #'s for ease)
TED134040WL GE NIB
FAL34050 Square D NIB
P120 ITE NIB
P220 ITE NIB
P230 ITE NIB
EF3A030 Siemens NIB
TED134060 GE Used missing lugs
TED134070 GE Used missing lugs

Plus more I know the are worth what I can get for them but not sure how to get the most bang for my buck with the used ones.
Thanks in advance.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
..not sure how to get the most bang for my buck with the used ones.
If the Kenai Peninsula Borough of Alaska had less than 5000 people in 2010, how much of this vintage equipment could be installed there?

If the market for your vintage breakers requires shipping beyond your area, I think your stuck with eBay, or Amazon.

kwired

Electron manager
Question becomes how long are they worth holding onto until you can get the prices you want for them?

If you sell them to a broker that buys used electrical equipment they may not give you what you think you want, but at same time they take it all and you are done with it, and the space it takes up may be used for something more useful.

If you hold out to get what you may think they are worth, some of them you probably never get rid of.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My place of employment had come into some Surplus Breakers and other equipment that was used but barely so we couldn't reuse it as new. A guy in the shop was poking around on eBay and found that we could make a ton of money selling it on eBay so they let him try. We got about 10% on the dollar for most of the stuff. Turned out the prices people were asking for most of the stuff they weren't getting and they were just being automatically relist it every week after they expired. The seller was just hoping somebody would need that particular part and buy it. If no one bought it it just got relisted by the system so there's no work involved.

templdl

Yes, used breakers will fill a blank space in a panel but are you we willing to stand behind a product that is untested to varify that it will provide the protection as intended. Used breakers fill see pavers in panels but when it comes to actually providing overload and short circuit protection it is only at the time of the event that the person who installs the device will find out if it actually works or not. It may only be good as a disconnect.
And how about after damaged product that are saved from floods. They may look good but may be contaminated on the inside.
What is your liability? Is it worth the risk in order to save a few bucks?

AKElectrician

If the Kenai Peninsula Borough of Alaska had less than 5000 people in 2010, how much of this vintage equipment could be installed there?

If the market for your vintage breakers requires shipping beyond your area, I think your stuck with eBay, or Amazon.

Canneries, Refineries, Gas Pads, Industrial Shops, Mining, Manufacturing, all over the state and a lot of it built in the 60s-80's. Worked on probably 30-40 MCCs that use these breakers.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Canneries, Refineries, Gas Pads, Industrial Shops, Mining, Manufacturing, all over the state and a lot of it built in the 60s-80's. Worked on probably 30-40 MCCs that use these breakers.

Amazing.. Sounds like Alaska could be blamed for some global warming emissions.
If there's a local service market, keep the new ones in your truck and charge accordingly.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have kept a few old breakers if hard to find but never charged for them the rare times I used them. GE tends to be junk even when new so I chuck old ones for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.