Using a 14-3 wire in a pan fan box!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

Residential -- Is it still legal to use a 14/3wg or a 12-3w/g wire in a pan fan box? This box supplies 8cuin. Why would the inspector frown on it. He does not like it. Can someone please help me, I'm not good with my sizing.

aelectricalman

Re: Using a 14-3 wire in a pan fan box!

It just seems that there should be no problem with these boxes being rated to hold a light and a ceiling fan controlled by separate switches. Hence, its called a "Pan Fan". Surely they dont expect you not to place a light kit on the "fan"

aelectricalman

Thank you for your insight and direction, although I would still like to see more replies on the subject.

aelectricalman

YES, if there is proper space for your connections inside the canopy. Otherwise, no. That helps alittle more.

aelectricalman

Since it is not listed on the previous page in the chart on 314.16, do I just follow the provision you pointed out. Using the chart I assume that since a 12.5 cu in box will hold 6 #14 conductors, that my 6 cu in box will hold 3 #14 conductors. If that is the case, im at 4 conductors which does me in.

apauling

remember to add the ground wires as one wire count. (no ribbing Ryan).

there are nice saddle boxes rated for fans when directly under ceiling joist. the large fan rated pan boxes are good for 14-2.

paul

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
Since it is not listed on the previous page in the chart on 314.16, do I just follow the provision you pointed out.
Ace you have to look at Table 314.16(B) which tells us that each 14 AWG conductor need 2.0 cubic inches.

It just seems that there should be no problem with these boxes being rated to hold a light and a ceiling fan controlled by separate switches. Hence, its called a "Pan Fan". Surely they dont expect you not to place a light kit on the "fan"
They do not know what your going to do with it, you are the electrician it is up to you to use the products correctly.

A typical 4" square box has seventeen 1/2" knockouts, that does not mean you can bring a 14/3 into all seventeen knockouts. ;)

jimwalker

The pancake is stamped 6 cu in.While most inspectors allow a 12-2 or even a 12-3 they are not legal.Only legal use would be a 14-2
Many try to argue that the fan has a canopy but since it is not stamped for cubes we cant use it.Also think what we have if we blank it off.So bottom line is the inspector is giving you a break if he lets you violate the cubes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Many try to argue that the fan has a canopy but since it is not stamped for cubes we cant use it.
If tested, then I would say that you'd need to calculate and mark the volume of the canopy to meet 314.16(A). It doesn't say "factory marked" volume, it says "marked" volume. To flatly say you can't use the canopy isn't entirely correct, and not in keeping with 314.16(A) or 410.10. They both make mention of the final, installed volume.

Not to say I could accurately determine the volume of a canopy with a gun to my head... :D

[ December 22, 2004, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

physis

A typical 4" square box has seventeen 1/2" knockouts, that does not mean you can bring a 14/3 into all seventeen knockouts.
Well that sort a takes the challenge out of it!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.