Using a panelboard for different voltage service.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a used panelboard that I removed from a job site a few months ago, a Siemens 250A 42-circuit panel with a 100A main breaker installed.

I know there's a general prohibition against re-using electrical equipment, but this is in very good condition and I think the inspector will allow it. I hesitate because the marked voltage is different. The panelboard is labeled for 208Y120 and I would be using it on 240Δ120 high-leg service. Is that likely to present any additional problem, or do you think if the inspector agrees to allow a used panelboard, they'll also be OK with the different voltage?

The jurisdiction is City of Tulsa. The panelboard is labeled P1C42BL100CTS. Page 4 of this document shows how Siemens part numbers work. This was originally a 100A main breaker panel for 208Y120, but I see no problem with adding lugs and feeding it from 200A fuses on a 240Δ120, and probably using the 100A breaker for a sub-feed. I recognize that any 2-pole breakers using the high leg will have to be upgraded to 240V-rated instead of 120/240V.

I have a used panelboard that I removed from a job site a few months ago, a Siemens 250A 42-circuit panel with a 100A main breaker installed.

I know there's a general prohibition against re-using electrical equipment, but this is in very good condition and I think the inspector will allow it. I hesitate because the marked voltage is different. The panelboard is labeled for 208Y120 and I would be using it on 240Δ120 high-leg service. Is that likely to present any additional problem, or do you think if the inspector agrees to allow a used panelboard, they'll also be OK with the different voltage?

The jurisdiction is City of Tulsa. The panelboard is labeled P1C42BL100CTS. Page 4 of this document shows how Siemens part numbers work. This was originally a 100A main breaker panel for 208Y120, but I see no problem with adding lugs and feeding it from 200A fuses on a 240Δ120, and probably using the 100A breaker for a sub-feed. I recognize that any 2-pole breakers using the high leg will have to be upgraded to 240V-rated instead of 120/240V.

BTW there is no general prohibition on using used electrical equipment.

120/208 and 120/240 do have a different letter code in the part numbers, that said I highly doubt there is any actual difference. I would honestly just print out a new label and stick it on there and not even run it by anyone.

For 2 pole breakers connected to the high leg, a BQD will probably be cheaper than a straight 240 (which have the suffix R", ie. B220R).

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oh, I didn't even realize the BQD breakers (277/480 volt rated) are the same size as the BL, and listed for use in the panel. Thank you for the suggestion. I was looking at type BLH for the higher kAIC rating, but they don't make one with the R suffix. So the BQD would be a better option.

And for some reason I thought 110.12 (B) prohibited re-using electrical equipment, but it doesn't. It only states you can't use equipment with damaged or corroded parts that adversely affect safe operation.

Oh, I didn't even realize the BQD breakers (277/480 volt rated) are the same size as the BL, and listed for use in the panel. Thank you for the suggestion. I was looking at type BLH for the higher kAIC rating, but they don't make one with the R suffix. So the BQD would be a better option.

And for some reason I thought 110.12 (B) prohibited re-using electrical equipment, but it doesn't. It only states you can't use equipment with damaged or corroded parts that adversely affect safe operation.
Yeah def no problem using the BQD's. I have had siemens actually supply some of them on a 120/208 22 kaic factory order with BL breakers.

There is some new code language on "reconditioned" electrical equipment, but used is not the same as reconditioned.