using a trough 3R rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

When using a 3R rated trough gutter on an outside service, can I use a simple PVC connector in the top of the trough, or must I use the same type of hardware designed for the top of a meterbase. I don't see a PVC connector as being weather tight but I see the application everywhere. I see nothing wrong with using a PVC connector through the top of a trough, being that there are drain holes in the trough and I will have no splices. My inspector is really giving me a go around, and I can not find his justification. Thanks for any help.

[ May 07, 2005, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

celtic

Re: using a trough 3R rated

I was just thinking the same thing.... I have to relocate a meter pan from inside to outside (3R already???why?)...coming out of the side of a 3R meter pan with the load....I'll just follow this post ;)

iwire

Staff member

Buy some sealing type lock nuts.

These are steel locknut's with a rubber seal attached to them.

The seal forms into the threads and tight against the enclosure.

These are inexpensive alternatives to myers hubs.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
Are you saying that the PVC connectors are not up to code standards?
No, not at all.

But entries through punched holes are not water tight without sealing locknut's or o-ring type gaskets.

Think of the gaskets that come with quality liquid tight connectors. :)

aelectricalman

I am trying to find where the code book might state a reference regarding whether or not this is legal or not. I just want something to show him. Thanks for all of your help guys.

allenwayne

IMHO pvc connectors are fine,or use the high priced Myers hubs.When in 96 it was allowed to use PVC MA`S,it made installs alot easier :D

aelectricalman

So, from 96 on, we are allowed to use PVC MA's on service equipment. Thats the popular concensus. Thanks for all the help. Later on this week I will show you all my 400amp service I just built. Im very proud of it, its my first one. It looks like an industrial application of sorts, but I guess thats how it has to be. It has a 400amp meter base, 2 200amp disconnects and a top and bottom trough.

allenwayne

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
So, from 96 on, we are allowed to use PVC MA's on service equipment. Thats the popular concensus. Thanks for all the help. Later on this week I will show you all my 400amp service I just built. Im very proud of it, its my first one. It looks like an industrial application of sorts, but I guess thats how it has to be. It has a 400amp meter base, 2 200amp disconnects and a top and bottom trough.

allenwayne

Take pride in what you do it will be there for others to see for along time to come.I built an 800 amp C.T. service for a home about 4 years ago and took pics of it.These pics are on the wall of our shop and have a Title that says just this subject.Take pride in what you do your grandchildren will probably see this and you can say with pride I did that :D
I remember when we were considered craftsmen and not just installers,but I would like to see an installer lay a pipe rack out with different sized conduit and have all bends ,kicks flow to destination without a kink , glitch etc.
Again I say Take Pride In What We Do !!!!!! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.