Using busway feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

teco

Hello Guys,
I am looking for some alternative ways of doing this job with the market for pipe and wire today. I will be powering six new clean room tool setup sites. Each site will have three 250 amp 208 5-wire cord drops. None of the existing busways can take this new load but we are installing a new 4000 amp service anyway. So far my plan is two run out two raceways from the new service to each site to one 10' section of 800 amp bus with three 400 amp bus switches on each. One for each drop. The real load is aprox 6oo amps at each site. I will use two 500 kcmil copper in parallel on the next highest breaker at the new switchgear using 800 amp breakers.These runs are above a clean room drop ceiling full of duct work, chilled water pipes, electrical pipes, you name it and its up there. These runs are all over 150' long. I believe this to be the most economical way. I would like to know if anyone has done this type of install using busway feeder? The manf. say its cheaper than running pipe and wire. Has anyone ever done the cost difference in material and the labor for this as opposed to pipe and wire? It takes up a much smaller area and there is no wire pulling. Also less time to install than parallel pipes. Does anyone have anything different to offer? I thank you for all opinions.

ed downey

I haven't done the cost comparison recently but when I ran the numbers 5 years ago it was cheaper to run buss once the feeder was over 1200A.

-Ed

teco

ed downey said:
I haven't done the cost comparison recently but when I ran the numbers 5 years ago it was cheaper to run buss once the feeder was over 1200A.

-Ed
Thats sounds interesting Ed. When you ran the numbers for the busway feeder did you use a labor unit system? I having some trouble with that and will most likely do custom labor takeoff. I have installed many busway plug in sections but have never used the busway enclosed feeder sections above a dropped ceiling. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.