Using Listed connectors and distribution boxes for prefab home wiring

EK001

Occupation
Certification
Hi Everyone,

I am researching the requirements for prefab homes in the US that use NM cable with connectors. More specifically, we'd like to buy cable whips/harnesses with NM cable and UL Listed connectors as per 550.15 (K). Such harnesses would reduce setup/install times greatly and we may have found a good source for such connectors. My questions on this topic:

1. Can a distribution box be used somewhere in the home where one connector can enter and the circuit can be spliced and split into multiple outputs via terminal blocks, etc.? This box may have 1 circuit or multiple circuits but all entry and exits would be through UL Listed connectors.
  2. If the panel mount connectors on the box are UL recognized instead of listed, does this pose a problem?
  3. Does this distribution box need to be made of metal or plastic? Why?
  4. Would these distribution boxes need to be made by the onsite electricians or are they made elsewhere, possibly by the same folks that make the wiring harnesses? Is any special designation needed for the shop that makes these boxes, such as a UL 508A accreditation?
  5. Does the box need a Type/NEMA enclosure rating?
  6. My guess is that this box needs to be accessible but can anyone point me to the exact clause in 550 that makes this clear?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Are Anderson/PowerPole connectors legal for use in home wiring? "Small" connectors are good up to 45 Amps, and they can be stacked to make 'connectors' in assorted combinations. You have to work to get at the contacts, about the same as a paper clip in a duplex outlet. You could run wires up to a connector at the junction between to house sections, and use a short jumper between two junctions.
Connectors for up to 175Amps are available... I believe they were developed for the BART subway in California...

Look at the video starting at 03:40 or so.

1688574578962.png

Todd0x1

Are Anderson/PowerPole connectors legal for use in home wiring? "Small" connectors are good up to 45 Amps, and they can be stacked to make 'connectors' in assorted combinations. You have to work to get at the contacts, about the same as a paper clip in a duplex outlet. You could run wires up to a connector at the junction between to house sections, and use a short jumper between two junctions.
Connectors for up to 175Amps are available... I believe they were developed for the BART subway in California...
Theyre recognized components, not listed. So whatever assembly theyre used on would need to be listed. Might talk to the Reloc people and see if they can make those with NM-B. The other issue is I am pretty sure the contacts in those are for stranded wire only.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Theyre recognized components, not listed. So whatever assembly theyre used on would need to be listed. Might talk to the Reloc people and see if they can make those with NM-B. The other issue is I am pretty sure the contacts in those are for stranded wire only.
re: stranded... I know you could crimp/solder around a solid conductor... whether that's official use or not...

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Look at the video starting at 03:40 or so.

View attachment 2566201

Those are what are called "Molex" connectors.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I am researching the requirements for prefab homes in the US
First, there is no such thing as a "prefab home". What you are referring to is a mobil or manufactured home. Basically what one would call a trailer with the wheels removed.

The OP might want to talk to some of the American modular home builders. I believe some do use connectors between modules. Some also just leave tails that are run into a box in the adjacent module.

-Hal

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Probably should find something copper clad aluminum compatible if this is for trailers, because you know they are going to want to use it

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Those are what are called "Molex" connectors.
Molex connectors are made by another manufacturer entirely - Molex. Anderson PowerPole is what he's showing in the video starting at 3:40.

Molex MiniFit Jr. connectors are commonly used in ATX computer power supplies. APP is used by ham radio operators and extensively in Automotive. APP is rated to 600V so it's acceptable for line voltage as long as it's part of a listed assembly.

We use both types of connector for low-voltage LED lighting.

SceneryDriver