USS Iowa..... recruits, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
Nice ride

Nice ride

LOL, I think you are underestimating what that "little torpedo" is capable of. Subs sank 55% of all japaneese ships lost in WWII despite only being 1.5% of our fleet. I have personally sunk an old US battleship (To make an artifical reef), looks something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vaImLvZbPw

Wow, Zog has a nice service truck.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
LOL, I think you are underestimating what that "little torpedo" is capable of. Subs sank 55% of all japaneese ships lost in WWII despite only being 1.5% of our fleet. I have personally sunk an old US battleship (To make an artifical reef), looks something like this.

OK, I'll bite; which battleship? The vessel in the video is a destroyer. They have so little armor (about 0.75" for the Fletcher class) that you can probably hull one with a good sneeze. Every news story I've seen on the web about "battleships" sunk for artificial reefs turns out to be a destroyer, or troop transport, or some such. Same for the videos.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

no, but a little poke i knew would get the squids responding... :happyyes:

it's pretty hard to defend against a shaped charge..... from an aerial
standpoint the J-SOW has the "self forging" projectiles that punch holes
in battle tanks really well, and carom around inside. they aren't even
explosive, and they can penetrate a tank turret effortlessly.

a sub can't carry anything much besides weapons, but it does a pretty
damn good job of keeping anyone from carrying anything anywhere.

USMC1302

The BB's never traveled without a battle group of destroyers and frigates to "screen" the carriers, as traveling with our own subs in the area. I preferred the Iowa over any other ship I had to ride on. They had the CIWS/Phalanx which resembled R2D2 and was I believe a radar controlled gatling gun. Had a bunch of those along with Tomahawks, etc. All we did when I was on was gun drills to verify the effectiveness of all the weapons systems, including the 16" guns. I'm sure Randy has seen the armored hatches around the gun turrets on the main deck. One of those had not been secured properly during a live fire during the shake down cruise, and was torn off the hinges when the big boys cut loose. Back on topic, Randy have you seen the fire control "computers"?

zog

OK, I'll bite; which battleship? The vessel in the video is a destroyer. They have so little armor (about 0.75" for the Fletcher class) that you can probably hull one with a good sneeze. Every news story I've seen on the web about "battleships" sunk for artificial reefs turns out to be a destroyer, or troop transport, or some such. Same for the videos.

Don't recall, that was 20 years ago and I was underwater. All I remember is the amazing shockwave that MK48 sent to us from 5 miiles or so away.

zog

Speaking of Battleships, anyone see that movie? Dumb plot, unrealistic Naval scenes, but if you block that all out some good fun for 90 minutes. Love when the old guys just "Fire up" the old Battleship in an hour and head off to fight.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Speaking of Battleships, anyone see that movie? Dumb plot, unrealistic Naval scenes, but if you block that all out some good fun for 90 minutes. Love when the old guys just "Fire up" the old Battleship in an hour and head off to fight.

Well, you know, that's a "Hollywood Refit", right up there with "Hollywood Physics" for correspondence with reality.

cowboyjwc

Staff member

One of my favorite sub movies is, The Enemy Below, with Robert Mitchum. Great flick.

jeremysterling

Reading the Clancy novel Hunt for Red October helped me to decide to volunteer for sub duty. Though not exactly like the book, I liked Hunt for Red October movie, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.