Utility Connections for UL1741 Inverters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RERoyA

There are several utility codes in NA that require ANY distributed generator (DG) whether a rotating shaft generator or a grid-tied inverter based generator (e.g., PV, Wind) to have a "solidly" or "effectively" grounded neutral (EGN), per IEEE definition. Most medium sized (up to 500kW) inverter based DGs for PV systems have a 3-PH/delta connection (usually 208V or 480V), and therefore no accessible neutral point to ground.
The utilities maintain that even these devices need an EGN and to accomplish this requires an additional delta/wye isolation transformer, possibly a zig-zag transformer ? or changing the internal transformer output winding (requires safety agency recertification) in order to comply.
However, inverters are not voltage based machines - they are current sources that monitor the connected grid voltage and inject current to the grid based on the power available from the PV array. The terminal voltage developed by these devices will always follow that of the connected grid. If there are any disturbances in the grid voltage outside of the requirements of UL1741 the inverter is automatically disconnected. The units are smart in that they measure both magnitude and phase of the line- to-line voltages, and via calculations determine the equivalent neutral voltage, and switching at frequencies up to 18kHz have more than sufficient capability to guarantee no variation from the appropriate center point.
The symmetrical component model of this class of generator has no zero or negative sequence components - it is capable only of positive sequence operation. The EGN requirement is based on rotating machinery and the definitions of "effective grounding" are based on existence of zero and negative sequence currents - and they do not in this situation.
I had intended to run simulations using the models we have (PSSE or PSLF) to show reactions of the connection of figure 2 (see attachment) under various fault conditions, but not sure these packages will provide this kind of info - any suggestions here? Matlab?
It is my contention that the extra transformer to accommodate an EGN is not necessary for this kind of DG. Do you have any comments or experience with this topic - from your experience does the argument given above hold water?

Attachments

• EGN comments.pdf
    130 KB · Views: 0

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
There are several utility codes in NA that require ANY distributed generator (DG) whether a rotating shaft generator or a grid-tied inverter based generator (e.g., PV, Wind) to have a "solidly" or "effectively" grounded neutral (EGN), per IEEE definition. Most medium sized (up to 500kW) inverter based DGs for PV systems have a 3-PH/delta connection (usually 208V or 480V), and therefore no accessible neutral point to ground.
The utilities maintain that even these devices need an EGN and to accomplish this requires an additional delta/wye isolation transformer, possibly a zig-zag transformer ? or changing the internal transformer output winding (requires safety agency recertification) in order to comply.
However, inverters are not voltage based machines - they are current sources that monitor the connected grid voltage and inject current to the grid based on the power available from the PV array. The terminal voltage developed by these devices will always follow that of the connected grid. If there are any disturbances in the grid voltage outside of the requirements of UL1741 the inverter is automatically disconnected. The units are smart in that they measure both magnitude and phase of the line- to-line voltages, and via calculations determine the equivalent neutral voltage, and switching at frequencies up to 18kHz have more than sufficient capability to guarantee no variation from the appropriate center point.
The symmetrical component model of this class of generator has no zero or negative sequence components - it is capable only of positive sequence operation. The EGN requirement is based on rotating machinery and the definitions of "effective grounding" are based on existence of zero and negative sequence currents - and they do not in this situation.
I had intended to run simulations using the models we have (PSSE or PSLF) to show reactions of the connection of figure 2 (see attachment) under various fault conditions, but not sure these packages will provide this kind of info - any suggestions here? Matlab?
It is my contention that the extra transformer to accommodate an EGN is not necessary for this kind of DG. Do you have any comments or experience with this topic - from your experience does the argument given above hold water?

Is there a particular inverter that you are looking at? The big boys (SatCon, Solaron, PVPowered, etc.) all have engineering/tech support departments who are very acquainted with the interconnect requirements in various jurisdictions and are very responsive to potential customers; you might ring their bell and see what they have to say.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer

The theory is beyond me, but I can tell you that I've been witness to a few larger-than-50kW installations with neither a neutral connection to the inverter, nor an extra transformer installed. All Satcon inverters.

ggunn

Occupation
The theory is beyond me, but I can tell you that I've been witness to a few larger-than-50kW installations with neither a neutral connection to the inverter, nor an extra transformer installed. All Satcon inverters.

I have also worked on a project where an Aurora 100kW inverter with no neutral was interconnected without adding a transformer. Three phase inverters are by their nature balanced, so I don't believe there would be any current in the neutral anyway. OTOH, I am working now on two systems with scads of SMA inverters connected phase to neutral, and a neutral to the AC combiner is necessary in those systems, since even in the best case scenario there will always be some variation in phase currents.

I talked to Aurora tech support extensively in the former case, and what I was told is that you can connect an inverter with a delta output (no neutral) to a three phase wye without a problem, but you cannot go the other way.

Last edited:

BillK-AZ

Multiple single phase inverters on 3-phase

Multiple single phase inverters on 3-phase

A full size neutral is needed when connecting L-N 277V inverters such as SMA SunnyBoy because it is possible to switch on only a single phase.

Marvin_Hamon

Your approach will depend in large part on why they have this requirement. Remember that for the most part utilities do not want generation on their systems that they do not control so if this is just a way they see to keep distributed generation off their system then your approach would be completely different than if they just don't understand the difference between different types of generators.

ggunn

Occupation
A full size neutral is needed when connecting L-N 277V inverters such as SMA SunnyBoy because it is possible to switch on only a single phase.

I know. There is a full sized neutral in my design.

Status
Not open for further replies.