Utility Distribution Grounding

jes25

Around here (Detroit), industrial customers often have medium voltage services. In the newer areas, the utility distribution is 13.2. My understanding is that this is a wye service. From what I observe on the pole, the utility is giving customers 3 phase wires with a concentric neutral. This makes sense to me as far as grounding/ bonding go. Essentially, this is no different than a 480/277 utility service. The concentric neutral would be the fault clearing path back to the center of the utilities wye. The customer owned medium voltage gear would be bonded to the grounded conductor like a CT cabinet in a 480/277 service. Am I thinking correct so far?

In the legacy areas, customers get 4800 volt services. I understand this to be a Delta configuration. I don't understand how the grounded conductor works on these systems. Is a system like this typically corner grounded? Ungrounded? Where would the main bonding jumper be installed? I don't get it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Am I thinking correct so far?
Presuming they don't run a separate fourth conductor, I'd say yes, you are.

Is a system like this typically corner grounded? Ungrounded? Where would the main bonding jumper be installed?
I doubt it's corner-grounded. It could be floating, derived, or actually 4800Y/2700.

Can you not ask someone at the power company who knows such things?

jes25

Thanks for the response Larry. Can you explain how a derived neutral would work?

If it was floating how would ground faults be handled?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for the response Larry. Can you explain how a derived neutral would work?
Maybe a high-voltage zig-zag unit of some kind, or maybe just capacitance. I'm only guessing.

If it was floating how would ground faults be handled?
Maybe like intentionally-floating systems, where the first fault triggers ground-fault detection.