UTILITY NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Check out post #28
I am licensed and have been for 3 years. As mentioned, another professional engineers seal was on these drawings who I have worked under for 15 years. This person checked the drawing sets before permit and before submission to the utility as well.

I'm going to change the profile name so that no one assumes anything anymore.

Last edited:

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
Also, just so nothing gets misinterpreted from my statement about downsizing the fusible disconnects... nothing nefarious was done to change my demand loads. I had to rework my previous design and move as well as remove some of my loads to change my disconnect sizes.

Last edited:
I know you are located in Missouri.
My question is:
Does your state, POCO or AHJ allow an unregistered engineer- in- training individual to submit and hopefully expect to have drawings, design and load calculation from a trainee?

A draftsman, electrician, self-proclaimed expert can do those things that you did.

The scope of work you mentioned is something that a PE need to look at. . . and eventually affix his stamp and seal if he feels it's done right.
Not that you didn't do it right. . . but that's what PE's do for a living.

Fish

I'm having a hard time even understanding your post. You seem to be saying this needs to be evaluated by a PE, but then you also say "a self-proclaimed expert can do those things that you did." ??? Although of course I can't speak for local rules requiring PE involvement and at which point that is required, IMO this seems like a rather simple project and I do much more involved plans as a non PE electrical contractor.

PE (always learning)

Occupation
Professional Engineer
I know you are located in Missouri.
My question is:
Does your state, POCO or AHJ allow an unregistered engineer- in- training individual to submit and hopefully expect to have drawings, design and load calculation from a trainee?

A draftsman, electrician, self-proclaimed expert can do those things that you did.

The scope of work you mentioned is something that a PE need to look at. . . and eventually affix his stamp and seal if he feels it's done right.
Not that you didn't do it right. . . but that's what PE's do for a living.

Fish

Haha, I know, I was confused by his statement as well. Maybe I should take his username with face value like he did with my previous one :)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Does everyone jump to conclusions this quickly?

Even if I was still an engineer in training, which I am not...

Why couldn't I ask questions on here while working under a professional engineer?
I agree. I can't tell you how many design questions I see from people I assume are electricians, and nobody ever questions their qualifications. (I know in some areas electricians are allowed to do limited design, but where I'm at everything is supposed to be designed by an engineer.)

And I'm not taking what wire size to use questions either. I'm talking questions more like "Do I need backup power for a hospital?"

However, the engineers seem to have their qualifications questioned frequently.

Anyhow, back to your question. The utility provided and installed the transformer, and then questioned the single phase? That is crazy.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Haha, I know, I was confused by his statement as well. Maybe I should take his username with face value like he did with my previous one :)
I don't know why fishbrain made an issue of your credentials. Besides, his comments were somewhat strange. Please don't think he represents all of us. Your OP was a fair question and a real issue. Please stay with us and congrats on your PE.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Fish, why are making such a big deal out of the OPs credentials? You don't even know this person. Besides, the OP ask a legitimate question about a POCO that is clearly asking for something that is not required or reasonable. The OPs design was perfectly fine and well reasoned. So just chill a little and let it go. This site is not for people to brag about their credentials, it is for the greater education of us all. Many of us have a substantial number of credentials and a ton of experience and others maybe just starting out. It seems to me that all are welcome here so we can all learn something.

Status
Not open for further replies.