Utility voltage parameters.

nizak

I have a residence that is being supplied with —233V at the meter. Certain loading can take this as low as 228V.

Would it be unreasonable to request a higher voltage at the meter?

nizak

I would say that is low and would call it in. Could be something like a bad regulator on the line.
I’m unable to contact anyone in Engineering at the Utility.

Another electrician I spoke with said that 5% variance is acceptable.

I’ve recently worked at residences where the incoming voltage is as high as 248V

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That will be covered by your state utility commission rules...as long as what the utility is supplying is with in those specs they are fine.

In Illinois, those voltages would be within the range specified by the Illinois Commerce Commission.

The rules specify a standard service voltage of 120 volts, but also specify that the voltage shall not drop below 113 or rise above 127. That result in a permissible line to line voltage range of 226 to 254. Any complaints to the utility for voltages within those ranges will be ignored.

nizak

That will be covered by your state utility commission rules...as long as what the utility is supplying is with in those specs they are fine.

In Illinois, those voltages would be within the range specified by the Illinois Commerce Commission.

The rules specify a standard service voltage of 120 volts, but also specify that the voltage shall not drop below 113 or rise above 127. That result in a permissible line to line voltage range of 226 to 254. Any complaints to the utility for voltages within those ranges will be ignored.
Thank you.

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
All good feedback here, I’ll just add because I was digging in to something similar today. ANSI table 84.1 may be good to reference , utility requirements obviously comes first but I think this is the table some get there standards from , shows acceptable tolerances