UV system GFI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

WirenutNH

I have been asked to put a price together to wire in a 480v 3 ph UV system for a public pool.The unit is in a remote equipment room and not in the pool area In my head I believe I need to supply this unit with GFI protection but I can not find anything that tells ne it is required. Any direction would be very much appreciated. There are no specs on this job.

renosteinke

I don't understand the question.

Sure, there are a few 3-phase GFCI's out there, but they're rare.

The only "UV" water treatment I know of is simply a light bulb - and light bulbs are all single phase. Good heavens, I can't imagine even the largest units calling for more than 500 watts.

Ditto for the "ozone" treatments. Ozone generators are similar in that their power needs are so modest that I can't imagine a 3-phase model.

WirenutNH

This unit is a UV unit 3 ph 480v unit that is to be wired with a 20amp breaker. I agree seems like a large feed but its what I have been given for info and just looking to see if anyone else believes it should be GFI protected. I can not finsd a code art that tells me it does?

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

This unit is a UV unit 3 ph 480v unit that is to be wired with a 20amp breaker. I agree seems like a large feed but its what I have been given for info and just looking to see if anyone else believes it should be GFI protected. I can not finsd a code art that tells me it does?

I do not think there is a code provision mandating you to provide 3 pole 20 amp breaker for this application.My personal opinion is you provide one but with less sensitivity:instead of 5 or 6mA,provide a 30 mA sensitivity breaker to avoid nuisance tripping.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

WirenutNH,
Decide for yourself.It is better to provide a GFCI albeit lesser sensitivity.In some other part of the world i.e in India, provision of GFCI is mandated for loads exceeding 5 kW.I think,but I am not sure for the time being, in Britain also such a rule exists (Besoeker may tell us about it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.