VA per sq ft for Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate H.

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Can somebody point me in the right direction where I can find out occupancy lighting load per sq ft for a public library? The closest type of occupancy listed in table 220.12 is school which is vague because all different types of buildings can be found in a school. They probably mean classroom. Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know what the protocol is for this but it seems to me a library would operate much like a school as you suggested. Lights on all the time, big open area and computer terminal here and there. I don't think you can go wrong since most of the stuff is 3 watts/sq.ft.

I know one of our engineers will chime in and let you know what they do in this situation.

d0nut

I would use the allowable lighting power density from the energy code rather than from the NEC. The NEC values are ridiculously large. For example, if your library is in Seattle, you are limited to 0.75 W/SF for lighting by the Seattle Energy Code rather than 3.0 or 1.5 W/SF from the NEC.

1677273349426.png

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would use the allowable lighting power density from the energy code rather than from the NEC. The NEC values are ridiculously large. For example, if your library is in Seattle, you are limited to 0.75 W/SF for lighting by the Seattle Energy Code rather than 3.0 or 1.5 W/SF from the NEC.

The onset of LED has really changed the use of electricity in those buildings. What used to be 3 watts is now 1.5 watts and if you meet the energy standards it is .75 watts

Status
Not open for further replies.