Vacancy Sensor For 0-10v 2x2 ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
171013-1249 EDT

I would have no idea from that datasheet. I really have no idea from their information what the device does or how it works.

Separately why would you use a dimmer or even would it work on a fixture with 0-10 V dimming control.

To work with all the new different kinds of devices you are going to need to learn how they work and interact with each other. This means study fundamentals, tear things apart, and study many new things.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The data sheet may not help much, but it contains a link to the installation instructions.
The unit is designed to replace a standard wall switch and goes in series in a switch leg.
I would say no to working properly with luminaire with 0-10 control system. It could cycle power to the whole thing on and off, but I suspect the results would not be satisfactory.

mstrlucky74

I think this dimmer/vacancy would work. Gar why wouldn't a dimmer work on a 0-10v ballast?

So according to the wiring diagram in the link below( attached pic too) it looks like there is 120V and 0-10v wiring from the switch to the ballast(for 0-10v wires) and a j-box(for power). I'm confused on this wiring from the switch to the ballast and box as, like I said, it looks ot have 0-10v and 120v leaving the switch.

http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/369833.pdf

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A fixture with 0-10V dimming is very likely to have stabilization circuitry to prevent unwanted circumstances like varying voltage or power quality from changing the light level. That will fight any series dimming scheme.

gar

Occupation
EE
171013-1424 EDT

mstrlucky74:

When you used the words "a dimmer" I had no idea what you were referencing. Thus, I assumed this referred to a conventional 120 V phase shift dimmer of some sort.

If you meant a control device that provides 0-10 V DC output to provide a 0-10 V DC input to a dimmable device that requires that input, then don't call that a dimmer. It is more of an input control device.

The only device and drawing in your first post was a Hubbell motion sensor, and the dimmable light fixture. And I still really don't know what the Hubbell device does. Is it only ON-OFF, or some phase shifted output also. If a solid-state output switch does it work well with your expected load?

Last edited:

mstrlucky74

171013-1424 EDT

mstrlucky74:

When you used the words "a dimmer" I had no idea what you were referencing. Thus, I assumed this referred to a conventional 120 V phase shift dimmer of some sort.

If you meant a control device that provides 0-10 V DC output to provide a 0-10 V DC input to a dimmable device that requires that input, then don't call that a dimmer. It is more of an input control device.

The only device and drawing in your first post was a Hubbell motion sensor, and the dimmable light fixture. And I still really don't know what the Hubbell device does. Is it only ON-OFF, or some phase shifted output also. If a solid-state output switch does it work well with your expected load?

Thanks. My other post links to a lutein dimmer/vacancy for 0-10v dimming which I think will work okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.