Vaccine freezer and fridge circuits

We had a project where they wanted to add another freezer to a vaccine room at a clinic. One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps. I told them even the existing small fridges and 1 freezer (4 in total, the additional will be 5) only add up to 13 amps total. The fridge/freezers will me monitored 24/7 and it sends an alarm when the temperature drops below the required amount.

I have checked the NEC and I do not see where it says that vaccine freezers or fridges had to be dedicated circuits. There are other circuits in the room for back up, but to have each fridge and freezer on a dedicated circuit in this small room is a bit much, That would be 5 circuits, when even if they are all together they do not add up to 15amps. They have 3 existing circuits there now, and panels are very full and this will be a bit more than the client thought.

Where is it in the NEC that reuqires dedicated circuits?? We are under the 2020 NEC. Remember they already have 3 circuits.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If I am not mistaken appliances fastened in place can not exceed 50% of the circuit rating if they are plugged into a general use circuit. I guess it can be debated whether a fridge or freezer is fastened in place and not readily moved. maybe that is what they are thinking. If the amperage is low I can't see why they have to be dedicated circuits you could still put more than one appliance on a circuit.

We had a project where they wanted to add another freezer to a vaccine room at a clinic. One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps. I told them even the existing small fridges and 1 freezer (4 in total, the additional will be 5) only add up to 13 amps total. The fridge/freezers will me monitored 24/7 and it sends an alarm when the temperature drops below the required amount.

I have checked the NEC and I do not see where it says that vaccine freezers or fridges had to be dedicated circuits. There are other circuits in the room for back up, but to have each fridge and freezer on a dedicated circuit in this small room is a bit much, That would be 5 circuits, when even if they are all together they do not add up to 15amps. They have 3 existing circuits there now, and panels are very full and this will be a bit more than the client thought.

Where is it in the NEC that reuqires dedicated circuits?? We are under the 2020 NEC. Remember they already have 3 circuits.
I have never heard of such a requirement and am highly doubtful there is any such thing in 517 or anywhere else in the NEC. Maybe a job spec. My main client has lots of critical refrigerators and freezers including many -80F freezers. They are not healthcare. But the -80s draw about 7 amps @ 208V and I typically put two on a circuit for their new buildouts. I dont see an issue.

I have never heard of such a requirement and am highly doubtful there is any such thing in 517 or anywhere else in the NEC. Maybe a job spec. My main client has lots of critical refrigerators and freezers including many -80F freezers. They are not healthcare. But the -80s draw about 7 amps @ 208V and I typically put two on a circuit for their new buildouts. I dont see an issue.
Thanks for the info. Ours are just 120volt 5.75 amps most on 1 fridge. I have challenged them on this asked for specific location of the article and code, and I have to see it. I wanted to be sure I have not missed anything in the NEC regarding this.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
We had a project where they wanted to add another freezer to a vaccine room at a clinic. One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps.
Does the clinic fall under NFPA 99?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
We had a project where they wanted to add another freezer to a vaccine room at a clinic. One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps.

What more do you need to know?? Forget the NEC! Think! Their requirement for dedicated circuits is to ensure that all the other freezers will still function in the event that one has a problem and trips its breaker. Likely there are high value/critical drugs being stored.

-Hal

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I would not only want a temperature alarm, but also a power alarm, since it would usually trigger before the temperature rises.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
When you say 'One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps.' , who is this other of which you speak?

If the other is one of your electrician co-workers, then totally appropriate to challenge them to find the code requirement.

If the other is the customer job specifier, then the response is 'happy to. I charge this much....'

Jon

When you say 'One of the others were telling me that health clinics vaccine areas had other rules and each refrigerator or freezer had to have its own circuit regardless of the load/amps.' , who is this other of which you speak?

If the other is one of your electrician co-workers, then totally appropriate to challenge them to find the code requirement.

If the other is the customer job specifier, then the response is 'happy to. I charge this much....'

Jon
Other was a fellow electrician. Customer/Client doesnt really care, but they are concerned about costs. They not too keen on paying more for an extra circuit if it is not required. They emphasized they have 24 hr monitoring and a back up plan if the have move the vaccines.