Vault Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpearsall

We have a 12.5kV underground vault (our own distribution system). It has 2 metal doors and contains A-B switching and a transformer. Our ground people want to cover it with a tarp and gorilla hair. To access the vault we would have to move everything out of the way. I need a code reference to stop this. This is a University and everything has to be beautiful without regard to the electrical workers. Any help will be appreciated.

rpearsall

To acess it the covering (tarp and hair) need tobe removed with a shovel. This will take an hour. With the tarp on I don't think there will br any air movement.

mxslick

Grab 'em by the wallet...

Grab 'em by the wallet...

rpearsall said:
We have a 12.5kV underground vault (our own distribution system). It has 2 metal doors and contains A-B switching and a transformer. Our ground people want to cover it with a tarp and gorilla hair. To access the vault we would have to move everything out of the way. I need a code reference to stop this. This is a University and everything has to be beautiful without regard to the electrical workers. Any help will be appreciated.

Ask the ground people if they have sufficient funds in their budget to replace the transformer and swtchgear after it fails from overheating. :grin:

Not to mention the fact that they'll be out there replacing the gorilla hair every month as it washes and gets blown away.

A better idea would be to get some students from the Arts department to faux paint the vault covers to blend in with the surrounding landscape.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Does the University have no imagination at all? Was thinking have a styrofoam boulder, or fake shrub over(in front of) the vault access? Surely a university that trains people to think, will offer something smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.