vaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

daverz

This might be a dumb questions but can somebody tell me what an electrical vault is used for? I think of a concrete room, underground, where a bunch of distribution lines are fed, connected, etc. Is there more to them than this? What else are they used for?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: vaults

I think that the only place in the NEC where the word ?vault? appears is in relation to transformers installed indoors. 450.21(C) tells us that a dry type transformer rated over 35,000 volts must be installed in a vault. The requirements for constructing the vault start at 450.41.

That being said, the word ?vault? is used in conversational language (not precise technical language) for any number of applications. In what context did you encounter the word, and what are you looking to understand?

daverz

Yeah, this isn't a code question at all but I didn't know where else to post it.

I came across a question in some material I was reading that asked about a switchgear in a vault. My question was whether switchgear would ever be in a vault? Again, I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what a vault is and what it's used for. The code doesn't answer this for me.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

You may be dealing with the difference between what I like to call ?conversational English? and the formal, official language of the code. You and I might talk about a room in which a switchgear is installed, and we might call that room a ?vault.? But you will not find that term used in connection with anything other than a transformer, and a limited number of transformer types at that.

By the way, it doesn't matter too much where any question in posted. If a Moderator thinks the question is more likely to get a good answer in another Topic Area, the question will be moved.

molotov27

Most probably this one is not a NEC issue. Steping outside the realm of the NEC, an electrical vault is typically used on primary underground distribution system. On that vault there can be many different things such as cable, transformers, switchgear, by themselves or a combination of all of the above.

Vaults tend to get filled with water so most of the time the transformers are submersible or what are referred to as "network transformers". The same goes with the switchgear....a good example are the Kearney vault switches.

It can also be used for pulling purposes. The dielectric insualtion on a primary cable (5KV and above) is easily damaged by exessive pulling forces, so vaults are put in place to cut the pulling distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.