VDC/data in same cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

anziani

Hello,
Can we use one cable for a 24VDC supply and a 2wire twisted pair for digital data return? The system requirements are for Class 1 wiring.
Thank you,
Anziani

barbeer

Not my field of expertise, but I believe you would be asking for trouble! Harmonics could ruin your data stream. They do make piggyback shielded cables I believe. Curious of the voltage rating on the cable in question.

dbuckley

In the world of theatre, scrollers use combined power / data cable, the data is 22 AWG twisted, the power 14 AWG, carrying 24VDC or 48VDC depending on maker and model. The data is RS-488 at 256KBit/Sec, and since scrollers use motors, the power gets chopped up a lot, but it doesnt interfere with the data.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think you will be fine but the one to ask would be the manufacturer of the equipment don't you think?

I am also a bit concerned about the class 1 wiring. The only class 1 cable that I know of that would have two twisted pairs is tray cable type TC. Your data conductors would need to have the same insulation (600V) as the 24V even though it is the 24V that is class 1.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.