Verizon Fios wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelectrical

I have a customer whos doing a renovation in his house and want me run the wires for his computer, phone and internet. Does anyone knows what wire they use from modem to box outside for the internet?
cat 5 or coax?

steelersman

mtnelectrical said:
I have a customer whos doing a renovation in his house and want me run the wires for his computer, phone and internet. Does anyone knows what wire they use from modem to box outside for the internet?
cat 5 or coax?
I'm pretty sure that cat 5 is sufficient from inside the house to the (new box) that verizon would install on the outside for the Fios. I'm willing to bet that regular phone line is good enough. So long as you use an ethernet (cat 5) from the modem to the computer.

tkb

My FIOS box in inside in the basement.
Use regular Cat 3 cable for the phones and RG-6 quad shied for the modem and TV's.
Home run each back to the FIOS box location.
120 volt power is also required at the FIOS box.
You only need Cat 5 cable from the modem to the computers, unless you go wireless.
The modem will be a combo modem and wireless router ans Verizon will provide it.

dereckbc

Staff member
I have Verizon at my home. The ONT has 3 output types.

RJ-45 for internett using CAT-5 or better cable, I used CAT-5E
RJ-11 for POTS using CAT-3 or better, I used CAT-5E
CATV F fitting using whatever coax you want, I used RG-6

Once you switch to FIOS, you will never use copper phone lines or CATV/SATV again.

jnsane84

I just got FiOS installed and I love it. I really dont have any valuable input because tkb and derrick both hit it all so I'm not going to be redundant. Best service I've had so far.

mtnelectrical

i just spoke with a verizon tech while driving to a job and he said that the TV signal comes from the modem (up to 4 TVs) and they do not need a home run, they would just need a home run for the first TV to the modem and they daisy chained the rest of the TVs and send just 1 home run to the box in the basement. He said the TVs do not need a home run because they are provided with IP adress and the modem is the only one that needs a home fun of the box in the basement. Of course, every telephone line are homeruned to the basement too. Does anyone have seen this type of installation before?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mtnelectrical said:
i just spoke with a verizon tech while driving to a job and he said that the TV signal comes from the modem (up to 4 TVs) and they do not need a home run, they would just need a home run for the first TV to the modem and they daisy chained the rest of the TVs and send just 1 home run to the box in the basement. He said the TVs do not need a home run because they are provided with IP adress and the modem is the only one that needs a home fun of the box in the basement. Of course, every telephone line are homeruned to the basement too. Does anyone have seen this type of installation before?

Not me.....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mtnelectrical said:
. . . they do not need a home run, they would just need a home run for the first TV to the modem and they daisy chained the rest of the TVs and send just 1 home run to the box in the basement. He said the TVs do not need a home run because they are provided with IP adress . . .
That means every TV has to have a box with three F-connectors: in, out, and TV. Are they powered? They may receive DC over the coax from the modem.

You could do more or less the same thing with tap splitters, which are splitters with a lower feed-thru signal loss but a higher tap signal loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.