Vertical breaker on position

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
From 404.7 I was under impression main breaker on shall be up and off down. Am I missing an exception attached is an online picture. I feel as though I’m wrong

Attachments

• IMG_8239.png
    IMG_8239.png
    741.1 KB · Views: 29

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is no exception.
When installing a top fed panel as a bottom fed I have had to remove the main and rotate it 180 degrees.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Augie stated typically with those breakers you can reverse the bus connections and the terminals. While very neat that thing is a bit of a mess. They never should have flipped it in the first place because the feed is one top. Also why mount the panel next to it upside down also and then run the conductors all the way around the panel?

dm9289

Occupation
As Augie stated typically with those breakers you can reverse the bus connections and the terminals. While very neat that thing is a bit of a mess. They never should have flipped it in the first place because the feed is one top. Also why mount the panel next to it upside down also and then run the conductors all the way around the panel?
It’s something I see often on line. I often see this posted also.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.png
    IMG_7426.png
    821.3 KB · Views: 24

dm9289

Occupation
What if there is a junction box on the backside of the wall?
Good thought I but I THINK still no good. It seems like this gets passed often. Not sure the hazzard it creates.

Attachments

• IMG_8240.png
    IMG_8240.png
    293.7 KB · Views: 2

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good thought I but I THINK still no good. It seems like this gets passed often. Not sure the hazzard it creates.
If there were a junction box on the back side of the wall with the two nipples into the panel it could be code compliant. NM cable is permitted in a raceway.