vga cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I have a Vga cord connected from my computer (which is a 20 foot cord) to my sony flat screen but when i put the tv to Pc there is no prcture am I missing something

cadpoint

tonyou812 said:
I have a Vga cord connected from my computer (which is a 20 foot cord) to my sony flat screen but when i put the tv to Pc there is no prcture am I missing something
CPU to TV monitor ? No I'm not sure that will work at all.
I'm not sure they build them that way and if they do, one pays for it.
Most TV's are just an output device.

My understanding is that the video signals are different from CPU verses a TV's
and not meant to be a direct - one to one conncection of a CPU to a TV monitor.

You need a TV Card in your CPU to display in view area (a window) on your CPU monitor or to be output to TV monitor, ie a correct filtered output signal.

Edit for phonics ...

Last edited:

smo

It will work just fine, so long as your TV has a D-SUB (aka VGA) input on it.
Most all flat screens today have this input, and are meant to be used either as a TV or as a monitor, or both. I have a flat panel in my master bath for my wife, and it has an input to be used as a computer monitor.

As was already mentioned, make sure that your flatscreen is on the correct input, and make sure that the resolution your computer is set to isn't higher then the screen can handle.

Otherwise, that's all you should have to worry about. A 20' VGA cord is no problem, the signal will travel just fine on that unless it's a junk cable.

Good luck.

wireguru

tonyou812 said:

if your TV is in fact on the VGA input, then your resolution may be set to higher or lower than what the TV can handle. Most computer monitors scale whatever you sent them to the resolution they can display. Many of the TVs with computer input dont do this. Check and see what the TV wants to see resolution wise at the VGA input, then set your computer to that and try it.

If you have a laptop, you may need to toggle the external output on. On Dell laptops, this is accomplished by pressing Fn+F8. Look for a key that has a picture of a monitor on it or reads "CRT/LCD".

Status
Not open for further replies.