Vibrating/Rattling Electrical Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I witnessed a data center load test this past week, where the 480V, 5000A generator-fed switchgear rattled excessively under load.
The general consensus is that the noise is acceptable - since there is no apparent solution.
The one unique feature about the gear is that the horizontal 5000A bus is spaced 3-4 feet apart which was necessary in order to meet the 100kA bracing requirement. Some theorize that closer spacing gives the flux the chance to counteract the flux in the adjacent busbar, thereby eliminating the electromagnetic induction that is making the sections of the gear rattle.
We could jam wedges in between the cabinets and minimize the rattle at certain amperages.
It was also interesting to note the variance in vibration depending on which source was feeding the gear. Three gensets fed the gear, and if it was powered from both ends - it was quiet.
I was warned of the noise prior to the load test - and when I witnessed it, it was not too concerning. I've seen and heard similar nosies in industrial electrical equipment - particularly harmonic laden substations.
I'm curious to hear other folks' experience with rattling electrical equipment.
JM

Last edited:

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
more data...

more data...

Thanks for the responses.
I should have included this information in my original post - which is that the load was a resistive loadbank at ~ 4.2MW.
I know that doesn't rule out generator harmonic contributions, but the curious point of it all to me is that the rattle is affected by the point at which the generator feeds enter the switchgear.
JM

Status
Not open for further replies.