Video showing proper PPE use around 480V,240V,120V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Does anyone know where we can get a good video that shows a electrician using PPE doing regular tasks ? Opening a panel to read voltage ,resetting a breaker ( 480 V ),checking for control voltage ( 120V)in a cabinet with 480V also inside . Etc..... Good video showing different tasks would really help vs just telling someone to look at table130.7 (C) (9) of 70E. Thanks

zog

Does anyone know where we can get a good video that shows a electrician using PPE doing regular tasks ? Opening a panel to read voltage ,resetting a breaker ( 480 V ),checking for control voltage ( 120V)in a cabinet with 480V also inside . Etc..... Good video showing different tasks would really help vs just telling someone to look at table130.7 (C) (9) of 70E. Thanks

Neither watching a video or handing out a task table is good enough to meet the training requirements for the 70E. PPE requirements for arc flash protection are not voltage based and it is not that simple. Sounds like your facility is looking for the easiest and cheapest way to create the impression the are complying with the 70E. PLease get some real training. Until then, I suppose you can watch this one, it is free but you need to register.

http://www.schneider-electric.us/pr...d-services/its-a-matter-of-your-safety-video/

TxEngr

Zog-You were a little tough on Davebones. Yes, arc flash protection is not voltage based, but if you are using the tables, then it is task based so videos showing the proper way to perform these tasks might be useful as part of an overall training program. I didn?t get a sense that Davebones was planning on just showing a few videos and send his guys out.

I haven?t run across the videos like you describe. I?ve seen some video from Coastal Technologies that have some scenes like this, but nothing readily available and certainly not for free. It would be nice to have some good videos available like that but given the cost of production and the liability of it, we?ll probably not see them for free.

zog

I was a little rough I guess, sorry but I have just seen too many companies show a video, wave the magic wand, and "poof" you are qualified. Poor guys dont even know what they are supposed to have learned.

The video I posted is about the best you will get for free.

Davebones

Na ZOG wasn't too rough ,kind of got a chuckle out of what he wrote .Just training with what you hear in class or what some one tells you in the field don't always get it .We have the Schneider video and westex,fluke,and a few others showing the effect of arc flash accidents . I'm sorry but I've been in heavy industrial for 30 years and in my humble opinion a video showing a electrician aproaching different situtations and reading the arc flash label ,getting a hot work permit if necessary , donning the proper PPE ,to measure voltage, check a control circuit , etc ... would be more valuable than just showing a video that shows the after effects of a arc flash accident .

neutral

Na ZOG wasn't too rough ,kind of got a chuckle out of what he wrote .Just training with what you hear in class or what some one tells you in the field don't always get it .We have the Schneider video and westex,fluke,and a few others showing the effect of arc flash accidents . I'm sorry but I've been in heavy industrial for 30 years and in my humble opinion a video showing a electrician aproaching different situtations and reading the arc flash label ,getting a hot work permit if necessary , donning the proper PPE ,to measure voltage, check a control circuit , etc ... would be more valuable than just showing a video that shows the after effects of a arc flash accident .

I also have over 30 years in heavy industrial electrical work and have sat thru many training classes on safety in the work place; a large safety department makes sure of that. IMHO a video will do little to promote safety as most guys will fall asleep as soon as the lights go out. Now today in the work place it would seem that an 8 hour shift would consist of 4 hours prep time and 4 hours at most of actual time working, minus rest room breaks and clean-up time at the end of shift. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.