Viotlation? Plug in A/C Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backstory: I'm a member to this site called instructables.com Someone did a write a up about "How to" clean your A/C unit. Link HERE Some comments were made by others about safety, and making sure your A/C unit was off, and doubling checking for voltage before beginning work.

Someone commented: "I have something better, as far as safety. I stood over my A/C installer and demanded they install a 240 V AC plug on the A/C unit, that plugs into a socket on the breaker box. Now when I need to do repairs or maintenance, I can unplug the unit and know it's dead. This is the same form of safety that is routinely performed when repairing vacuum cleaners, power saws, and the like. I am not comfortable working on any equipment that is hard-wired to the line through a box. One bump of a lever, or a sticking switch, and you're live! I have never seen electricity "jump" through a plug that has been pulled!

Before the wet cleaning is performed, a shop vacuum should be used to remove leaves and other dry matter, both inside and outside the unit."

To which I replied: "Im surprised your installer obliged as that is against electrical code and would be failed by any inspector. A/C units are to be hard wired, Just as hot water heaters are, with a means a of disconnect, within sight."

To which I got the following reply: "It is not against electrical code. The installer put in the disconnect box as usual, per code, but instead of hard-wiring the A/C unit, he put a socket in the cutoff box, and a cord/plug on the A/C unit. Read the rest of the comments on this subject! The first thing that is repeatedly mentioned is don't trust the cutoff switch! (I have seen one pole fail to disconnect because it rusted out). A plug, when removed, can always be trusted! I demanded the same for a bandsaw at work."

I could be wrong, but I see this as against code. If I'm right, how do I explain to this know it all that the only thing he knows is stupidity?

It's late, but I'll hit a few things-

To start, I limit what we're taking about fixed units, not portable or room A/Cs, and supply circuits of over 20a.

If the A/C unit's instructions say to hard-wire, then that's what you do (110.3(B)). I did check a few manuals online, and none of them directly say to hard-wire but none of them mentioned connection cords, either. One says "Power wiring must be run in a rain-tight conduit."

You're supposed to verify something is dead before working on it. (basic safety procedures)
Disconnect switches don't "fall on", and most can be locked out.
Flexible cord may not substitute for fixed wiring (400.8(1)).
Flexible cord connectors aren't usually "horsepower" rated and it appears this is required by 440.12. (Not completely sure about that one.)

See also 440.13 Cord-Connected Equipment.

I'd view this person's argument along the same lines as those by people who don't wear seat belts in case they drive into a lake and have to get out of the car quickly.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm going to have to agree with the guy's basic premise that a pulled plug is a good way to make sure the power is off, it is not the best way to permanently wire something though.

I like the A/C disconnects that Rampager posted for the exact reason that I can pull out the "plug" and put it in my pocket.

iwire

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I see this as against code. If I'm right, how do I explain to this know it all that the only thing he knows is stupidity?

First off I don't see it as a danger so I would not worry about it.

If I was asked to inspect it I would cite 400.8(1) and (4).

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

(1) As a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure

(4) Where attached to building surfaces

electricalist

The first violation was ,,,standing over someone and demanding they do something that isnt standard operating procedure.
Then I would have to ask how he put a 30 amp or bigger outlet in what size cut off box ( what is a cut off box? )It sounds like where the plug is it would need to be open and that probably needs a WR outlet and a gfci breaker ,if its enclosed did he run what type of cable assembly, trey cable? through a knock out and then put a cord cap...
Sounds like he is full of crap,, I would have to see a picture of it and then Id wonder why he didnt just lean down to the ac guy and ask if he had a disconnect like in rampage s post?

kwired

Electron manager
I'm going to have to agree with the guy's basic premise that a pulled plug is a good way to make sure the power is off, it is not the best way to permanently wire something though.

I like the A/C disconnects that Rampager posted for the exact reason that I can pull out the "plug" and put it in my pocket.

I can say pretty much same thing.

Plus to add a cord and plug - those typically don't last as long in outdoors and sunlight creating other hazards when they do fail. The pull out plug is a good compromise to both issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.