voice intelligibility meters

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

I am looking for your opinions on voice intelligibility meters/analyzers. (this is a device that picks up the sound of a recording played into a fire alarm voice evac system. It then tells you how accurate it sounds in the field by the devices and rates it on a scale called STI, where 1.0 is perfect reproduction)

We normally inspection three or four of these a year, and borrowed a buddies Gold Line DSP2B meter for those. Looks like that number will double in 3 months and triple in 6 months. I have been looking online and there is virtually no info, beyond limited manufacture specs. They appear to range $2000-4000. I have so far found:

Gold Line DSP2B

Quest Technologies(3M) Verifier (Cant find this one for less than $3k!!)

NTI AL1 Acoustilyzer

Tyco also appears to have a model.

Any thoughts on these units or others is appreciated, as cost is always an issue.

If you have a used one of these possibly for sale, PM me!!!

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
This kind of device is new to me. Are they being required for the inspection of mass notification and other fire alarm/voice evacuation systems, or are they just nice to have, perhaps as a sales tool?

nhfire77

This kind of device is new to me. Are they being required for the inspection of mass notification and other fire alarm/voice evacuation systems, or are they just nice to have, perhaps as a sales tool?

Based on 72 2007, Mass notification is just in the annex, so its not required for that. for 2010, its in there!

For Voice Evac 7.4.1.4 requires voice intelligibility. The testing of speakers based on table 10.4.2.2(b) says you have use a meter based on IEC specs.

Does anyone do this? A resounding no echos from all but Tyco and Siemens techs and a few others who do it right.

I could skate by and no one would notice, as most AHJ's don't understand what an inspection is supposed to comprise of, but I want to stay ahead the curve of ignorance.

dhalleron

I used to do fire alarm inspections all the time, but haven't done one in over 6 or 7 years. I never had a chance to use one of those meters, but would be interested to see them in action.

I think the Goldline version costs about $2700 new.

These don't seem to be floating around eBay either.

Status
Not open for further replies.