Voiding the UL Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

72gs455

I was looking to retro-fit some globe post lights in a mall area. These globes line a sidewalk as pedsetrian lighting. I had brought this to the attention of our electric shop supervisor. If we install LED lamps in a medium base socket. A socket wich was previously fed by a core and coil 70 watt HPS ballast. 120volt source. Will this void the UL listing and should it really matter?
Sorry for being long winded but...

Thanks

raider1

Staff member
If you are removing a ballast from a HPS fixture and now using the luminaire as a LED style fixture then the modifications will most likely void the UL listing.

The only way to know is to have a field evaluation by a NRTL.

410.6 requires all luminaires to be listed.

Chris

electricmanscott

Beuller... Beuller...

Do you mean Bueller? :cool:
3fdabca611c206a3.jpg

jrannis

I was looking to retro-fit some globe post lights in a mall area. These globes line a sidewalk as pedsetrian lighting. I had brought this to the attention of our electric shop supervisor. If we install LED lamps in a medium base socket. A socket wich was previously fed by a core and coil 70 watt HPS ballast. 120volt source. Will this void the UL listing and should it really matter?
Sorry for being long winded but...

Thanks

I think that this NRTL thing is micro managing our trade and is more of a paper tiger than people realize.

There is no such thing as "voiding a listing", whether that be UL or any other NRTL.
Field altering of equipment can be a touchy subject. Regardless of how some feel this as being micro managed or whatever, there are rules.

We live in a society where rules rule. ;)

If you are altering a piece of equipment, call the manufacturer. That is my advice to anyone who calls me. The manufacturer will be able to tell you yay or nay, with an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.