Voltage Drop Calculation for Mult-Coductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcclure

I have a 2000 amp 240v (B-Phase Hi-Leg) Electrical Service. I'm trying to solve for voltage drop, because where the service cables enter the building they're running approx. 350 ft to the 2000 amp switchboard. This is the only location it can be set. I'm wanting to pull 6 x 750mcm aluminum cables per phase which is 2310amps, but don't know how to figure voltage drop for multi-conductor runs. I have an ElectriCalc Pro Calculator that I usually use for smaller calculations (single conductor), but I'm being told that it won't work for multi-conductor calculations. How do I solve?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Voltage drop is essentially a linear equation. If you calculate a voltage drop of 12 volts, using a single set of conductors, then the voltage drop for two sets of conductors would be 6 volts, the VD for four sets of conductors would be 3 volts, and the VD for six sets of conductors would be 2 volts. So use the calculator you have, do the calculation for one set of conductors, and divide the VD by six. Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.