Voltage Drop & derating

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgs1362

Which comes first, the derating of a wire or the voltage drop calculations? I have an EV charger that is 500' from the panel, it requires single phase 208 volt 32 amps and 120 volt 16 amps. when I do the voltage drop calculations, I get #4s are required for each circuit. If I'm installing in a single underground conduit, this would be 4 current carrying conductors which the code requires to adjust to 80%. How do I calculate for the adjustment factor?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Which comes first, the derating of a wire or the voltage drop calculations? I have an EV charger that is 500' from the panel, it requires single phase 208 volt 32 amps and 120 volt 16 amps. when I do the voltage drop calculations, I get #4s are required for each circuit. If I'm installing in a single underground conduit, this would be 4 current carrying conductors which the code requires to adjust to 80%. How do I calculate for the adjustment factor?

The code does not mandate calculating for voltage drop except in a few cases, which doesn't fit your installation, they only suggest it in an "informational note" or "FPN"=fine print note. That being said, you should do your derating, then do your voltage drop calculations.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
When you have to increase conductor size due to voltage drop, I doubt you'll run into any issues with derating. To me, the two issues are independent (don't see how derating affects voltage drop) -- using just the ampacity tables and derating for bundling/ambients will force a minimum wire size. Doing the voltage drop calculation will force another minimum size. Do the two calculations and pick the larger of the two minimums.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This is actually quite simple. You have selected #4 on the basis of VD. A #4 has an ampacity (with 75C insulation) of 85 amps. Putting 4 CCCs in the same conduit gives you a derating factor of 80%. Taking 80% of 85 amps leaves you with an ampacity of 68 amps. That is more than you need for your two circuits. Therefore, a #4 is acceptable for this application.

Status
Not open for further replies.