voltage drop distances

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn73

I am installing 20A 120V recepticles in our factory. The run from the main 208/120V panel is approx. 300 foot from the farthest outlet. This is the longest run I've ever installed. Should I over-rate the wire to compensate for voltage drop? At what distance should I be concerned with such issues? Thanks for the help.

[ August 22, 2005, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: shawn73 ]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Re: voltage drop distances

If my handy-dandy calculator hasn't failed me...
To maintain a 3% voltage drop you would need to run a #3 (at a 20 amp load), at a 16 amp load, #4

lizzie14

Be sure to upsize the equipment ground accordingly if you change your wire size based on voltage drop.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Shawn, this sounds like a perfect job for a sub-panel (or two). A feeder sized for a few circuits will exhibit much lower voltage drop over this distance than will individual circuits.

To use Augie's numbers, it would be much more economical to make a single 300' run using the same #3 copper w/100-a breaker, and branch out from a point central to the receptacle locations.

We're just finishing up a big (7500+ sq.ft. - basement over 3000!) house with two 200-a panels (one on standby gen), and I ran two 100-a sub-panels (one on each panel) to the far end of the house.

Addendum: Note: for a 300' run, a 100-a panel will require larger than #3, unless you'll rarely use more than one circuit per phase to capacity at any given moment.

[ August 22, 2005, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: LarryFine ]

Status
Not open for further replies.