Voltage drop in 3 phase.

mylk100

Occupation
Electricians helper
Hi
I am running a circuit about 220 feet for a motor. If I upsize the wiring should I also upsize the breaker or does the breaker stay the same size as what was the initial breaker called for on the job? For instance. I have a 80 amp breaker 3 pole. I installed a 1 gauge wire instead of a 3 gauge which the job called for on the spec sheet. Do I need to change the breaker to a 100 amp breaker. Or should I just upsize the wire and leave the breaker at 80?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Hi
I am running a circuit about 220 feet for a motor. If I upsize the wiring should I also upsize the breaker or does the breaker stay the same size as what was the initial breaker called for on the job? For instance. I have a 80 amp breaker 3 pole. I installed a 1 gauge wire instead of a 3 gauge which the job called for on the spec sheet. Do I need to change the breaker to a 100 amp breaker. Or should I just upsize the wire and leave the breaker at 80?
Breaker size stays the same.

Only thing to remember with upsizing conductors for voltage drop the EGC needs to be increased proportionally.