Voltage drop too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylelee

Today I went to an old house to check some lights and receptacles not working. It turned out that the breaker tripped. I pulled it back and lights working. The breaker reading is 115v. And I used a receptacle tester shows the receptacle correct. But voltage reading between hot and neutral is 90. To ground is 10v. And all the lights chargers/vacuum are working.The weird things as long as I turn on the ceiling fan, the voltage back to 100v,I turn it off it back to 90v

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

growler

But voltage reading between hot and neutral is 90. To ground is 10v.

Loose or bad connection on the ground.

If your voltage reading are correct [voltage drop] I would suspect other loose connections.Maybe bad back stab connections or loose wire nuts. Check neutral and ground connections at the panel to start with.

kwired

Electron manager
Just the one circuit has these unusual voltages or does other circuits have unusual voltages also?

What does voltage do when loaded vs unloaded? Try a light load of only maybe 50 watts as well as a heavy load of 1000 - 1500 watts.

Does voltage at panel remain nearly constant when voltage at an outlet drops? Presuming you have less then 100 feet of circuit length, you shouldn't see more than 5-6 volts dropped if all circuit connections are in good shape, even with the 1000-1500 watt load connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.